Chlorine Vs. Bromine

Before I open my pool for the season, I was wondering if it is possible to switch from chlorine to bromine and what I will have to do if I choose to make this change. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rob

Bromine is not stabilized and thus will be removed from the water by the sun. If your pool is outside in a sunny area, I would not recommend using bromine.

Before I open my pool for the season, I was wondering if it is possible to switch from chlorine to bromine and what I will have to do if I choose to make this change. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rob

If your pool is indoors or covered you can use Bromine but it is not recommended for outdoor pools. And you dont have to do anything to switch. You can just start adding bromine tabs to your feeder. If you switch and you want to switch back to chlorine later then you would have to drain the pool if you wanted to get rid of all the Bromine. Bromine will not leave the water like chlorine does and once it is added it is always present in the water. In certain applications it is a good alternative to chlorine.

If your pool is indoors or covered you can use Bromine but it is not recommended for outdoor pools. And you dont have to do anything to switch. You can just start adding bromine tabs to your feeder. If you switch and you want to switch back to chlorine later then you would have to drain the pool if you wanted to get rid of all the Bromine. Bromine will not leave the water like chlorine does and once it is added it is always present in the water. In certain applications it is a good alternative to chlorine.

Some people think that bromine is not compatible with chlorine. But if you read the label of bromine tablets, it contains 1-bromo 3-chloro. So bromine tablets actually contain chlorine. That's because pure bromine (sodium bromide) by itself is inactive. It needs an oxidizer (like to chlorine or monopersulphate) to activate it. Since bromine is more expensive and not stablized, you might as well just use chlorine.

However, if you want to get totally away from using harsh chemicals (like chlorine or bromine) you might want to consider an alternative product like Pristine Blue or a mineral system like The Frog.

Some people think that bromine is not compatible with chlorine. But if you read the label of bromine tablets, it contains 1-bromo 3-chloro. So bromine tablets actually contain chlorine. That's because pure bromine (sodium bromide) by itself is inactive. It needs an oxidizer (like to chlorine or monopersulphate) to activate it. Since bromine is more expensive and not stablized, you might as well just use chlorine.

However, if you want to get totally away from using harsh chemicals (like chlorine or bromine) you might want to consider an alternative product like Pristine Blue or a mineral system like The Frog.

Even with a mineral system like the frog you still need to use chlorine to maintain a residual of sanitizer. The mineral system by itself will not keep a pool sanitized. Bromine is more expensive and does have some advantages over chlorine in certain applications.

Even with a mineral system like the frog you still need to use chlorine to maintain a residual of sanitizer. The mineral system by itself will not keep a pool sanitized. Bromine is more expensive and does have some advantages over chlorine in certain applications.

I use the Frog system and love it. It is very low maintenance and uses minimum chlorine, 0.5 ppm. One chlorine pack lasts me a month.

I use the Frog system and love it. It is very low maintenance and uses minimum chlorine, 0.5 ppm. One chlorine pack lasts me a month.

Thats great but the problem we run into is some dealers present the Mineral systems as being the cure all for maintaining a pool or spa. If they are instructed properly then they do a great job.