Narrowing The Purchase Down - Sundance, Caldera, Marquis

Rob W

I think this is the final list :rolleyes: BTW, I've heard that Sundance will be having a sale in maybe the September time frame or so? Not sure if this will be in all areas or not but I've been told that I could possibly expect prices around $1000 lower than normal? This was a guess by a local retailer. I asked about the Cameo, which is normally $8995 and was told maybe in the $7800 range (w/out extras)? I'll believe it when I see it but I'd kind of like to hold out and see how that actually works out. I don't think I'd go for the Cameo though. My final list is something like this. No tax in Oregon :)

Sundance Altamar - $8000? estimate w/cover lifter and ozone

Sundance Marin - $7500? estimate w/cover lifter and ozone

Caldera Tahitian - $8000 qoute w/cover lifter

Caldera Geneva - $8000 (dry display model) quote w/cover lifter

Marquis Epic - $7995 (wet display model) quote w/cover lifter

The Marquis was out of the picture due to price until I found this Epic yesterday. We wet tested this model recently and really liked it, although the Tri-zone kind of sucks I think we could live with it. Killer deal on that one I think.

The Marquis was out of the picture due to price until I found this Epic yesterday. We wet tested this model recently and really liked it, although the Tri-zone kind of sucks I think we could live with it. Killer deal on that one I think.

Is the Sundance models CD also or UV? Make sure they're not just throwing in a cheaper UV ozone unit on you. I know Caldera upper models comes with CD ozone standard. Since the Epic was a wet floor model I imagine it has/had ozone also unless they are charging separate for it.

Is the Sundance models CD also or UV? Make sure they're not just throwing in a cheaper UV ozone unit on you. I know Caldera upper models comes with CD ozone standard. Since the Epic was a wet floor model I imagine it has/had ozone also unless they are charging separate for it.

Thats an off the hook deal an the Epic, As for the tri zone most people I know once they understand it and use it and than go into a friends spa really have a great appreciation for it as you can isolate and work muscles in a much more comfortable way than you can in just about in other spa, The entry level Marquis does not have it but to make the Hk 40 jets work you need it and it is a great massage.

That estimate included me paying for the optional ozone so it would not be a throw-in. It would be whichever one I chose at $300+. Which brings up a point. What the hecks the difference? They have 3 different size chip options.

Thats an off the hook deal an the Epic, As for the tri zone most people I know once they understand it and use it and than go into a friends spa really have a great appreciation for it as you can isolate and work muscles in a much more comfortable way than you can in just about in other spa, The entry level Marquis does not have it but to make the Hk 40 jets work you need it and it is a great massage.

Yeah, I should probably jump on that quick. Their normal price though is only $8995 for a brand new one so for $1000 more I could get my color options and still only spend around $9K.

Yeah, I should probably jump on that quick. Their normal price though is only $8995 for a brand new one so for $1000 more I could get my color options and still only spend around $9K.

What part of the country are you in ? 8995.00 is still a great deal on the Epic.

What part of the country are you in ? 8995.00 is still a great deal on the Epic.

I'm on the Oregon coast. The dealer on the coast is a full $1K higher on new models and $1700 more on floor/blem models. This other dealer is about 60 miles inland and will deliver free, but service would not be as prompt. I would have to pay a service charge (maybe only $50 or so) unless I was willing to wait until their every other week coastal run. I would love to buy local but not for $1700 more and I seriously doubt if the local dealer could come close to that price. I could technically ask the local dealer for service but I would not feel right in doing so.

No one can say with complete certainty weather you will have any problems or not but we have very few service calls with Marquis. I have friends who are dealers in your general area and they tell me as they own multiple stores and carry several lines that the Marquis for them is the least service spa they sell. Since we have been with Marquis they have had 2 issues both corrected long ago, one was pumps just a bad batch and the second ozone units that for a few weeks were built with the wrong size fuse in them but it was caught and corrected and other than the occasional isolated problem here and there not much in service. For the price I think it is worth the risk even if you pay the travel fee.

I put a hold on the Epic today. That's just a stupid deal. I need to hear back from the crane company to assure that I can get it in place first.

Hi Rob, you should try www.marquisspaoutlet.com for an even better deal on a brand new epic.

The guys name is Tom there and he seems to be a super nice and honest guy. He's based out of Tennesse and is one of Marquis reputable dealers.

I put a hold on the Epic today. That's just a stupid deal. I need to hear back from the crane company to assure that I can get it in place first.

Hi Rob, you should try www.marquisspaoutlet.com for an even better deal on a brand new epic.

The guys name is Tom there and he seems to be a super nice and honest guy. He's based out of Tennesse and is one of Marquis reputable dealers.

Thanks, I have checked out that website but it looked to me like they had a limited delivery area. I'm on the West Coast. Do they ship?

Thanks, I have checked out that website but it looked to me like they had a limited delivery area. I'm on the West Coast. Do they ship?

Yea he'll do it. I'm on the east coast. Give him a try, he has the best prices out there.

He's advertising a new Epic with cover, lift, steps, chemicals for $4923??? It may be reconditioned, but that's just ridiculous.

He's advertising a new Epic with cover, lift, steps, chemicals for $4923??? It may be reconditioned, but that's just ridiculous.

That certainly is a used spa but is this guy selling coss country?

I definitely wouldn't go that route anyway, regardless of price.

Don't waste your money. Go to Costco is better than that stuff.

Is the Tahitian still in the running, and if not why not? What are yiour thoughts on caldera?

Steve

I really like several of the Calderas. The only one available for wet-testing was the Moorea but we liked it fine. We liked the strong jets and neck jets, which are on the Utopia line, are a must. The Tahitian was probably going to be in the final cut to 2 with the other one being one of the Sundances...probably the Altamar or Marin. But I wasn't expecting to find the Marquis Epic for $7995 either. And this one comes w/cover lifter and upgraded shell color (Silver Swirl). The Epic is one of the models we have wet-tested, and we really liked it, but I didn't want to spend almost $10K. I think the Epic is really the only Marquis model I would have been interested in. The Reward and Quest really paled in comparison to the Epic IMO. But I think we would have been very happy with any of the Caldera Utopia line. The exterior LED's are cool too.

I think this is the final list :rolleyes: BTW, I've heard that Sundance will be having a sale in maybe the September time frame or so? Not sure if this will be in all areas or not but I've been told that I could possibly expect prices around $1000 lower than normal? This was a guess by a local retailer. I asked about the Cameo, which is normally $8995 and was told maybe in the $7800 range (w/out extras)? I'll believe it when I see it but I'd kind of like to hold out and see how that actually works out. I don't think I'd go for the Cameo though. My final list is something like this. No tax in Oregon :)

OK, here's the deal. The ad just came out for the Sundance sale. It is not nearly as good as the salesman originally led me to believe. It's basically the same $500 off they had a couple months ago. The ad only showed 6 spas though, some from the 700 and some from the 800 series. So I called and asked about the others and they said $500 off. It's kind of funny because the ad lists the Cameo and Optima, for example, at $9495 but including Ipod docking station and stereo. That's $500 more than the regular, non-sale price of the Cameo. I'm not sure what the value of the stereo and Ipod Docking station are because I don't care about those anyway but I was quoted $8495 for the Optima without those items.

I asked specifically about the Altamar and Marin and was quoted $7995 and $7495, respectively. Another funny thing is that I have actually gone in the store once, and also called another time, and they were very low key about the spa sales (this is actually a large plumbing store). This time I got the full sales pitch plus a call back from the 'closer' telling me how much better the Sundances were, mostly bull. Bottom line is, all of a sudden they are really pushing the sales aspect so I think they got the word from above to start moving them. One guy even made a comment about a commission he thought he might get so he wanted to ask if I would take his name. Anyway, when I mentioned to the closer that the Marquis Epic I was considering was $8000 and included cover lifter and ozone he said his included ozone also. I told him this was news to me as the brochure (and the guy I talked to before) says they come ozone ready and that ozone is an option. He says, oh no...when you buy from us it's included, blah, blah. So maybe that's new also, but that's another $300-$350 in savings over what I previously thought.

So now I've got to make the decision and the prices do turn out to be pretty close to what I listed above.

Sundance Altamar - $8000-$8200 w/cover lifter and ozone

Sundance Marin - $7500-$7700 w/cover lifter and ozone

Sorry for the long-winded post. Too much caffeine this morning!