Do I Really Need An Ozonator?

robin

That's all well and good, but when I looked at the models on their website, every single one of them looks like they have anywhere from 3-5 bypass valves (suction fittings around the footwell of the spa). What is their purpose if it isn't to bypass the filters? No one's ever been able to explain that to me and I'd really like to know. :huh:

Terminator

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it botheres me but from another website, someone said that Hotsprings tubs are the ONLY company to do 100 percent filtration without bypass. Funny thing is that LA spa says that they do 100 percent filtration. I never looked a the hot spring filtration, it never mattered to me because I didnt like the rest of the tub. But, I think the hot spring and LA use the same type if filtration. Fabric filter bags that can be placed in the dishwasher. Am I correct? I dont know since I never looked at the hot springs filter. How can hot springs say they are the only ones with the 100 percent no bypass? I am trying to post a pic for the first time so dont get mad if it doesnt come out. Personally the filtration wasnt a big decision maker for me. I was really focussed on being comfortable in the tub, not the filters.

How do you post a picture on here? I see the insert image button button but it only wants to have me pput in a url. The picture is on my local drive. Well, I will see if the link to the website will work.

IPB Image

Hotsprings is the only spa with 100 percent no bypass. There is a difference between saying your spa has 100% filtration and saying Hotsprings has 100% no bypass. What that means is when ANY pump on a Hotspring spa is on the water that is being pulled by that pump has to pass through a filter just like in Terminators diagram that he posted. On LA and a lot of other brands when the jet pumps are turned on there are bypass valves connected to the suction ports that you see around the footwell of your spa and a lot of that water is going through and right back to the spa. Totally bypassing the filter.

Hotsprings is the only spa with 100 percent no bypass. There is a difference between saying your spa has 100% filtration and saying Hotsprings has 100% no bypass. What that means is when ANY pump on a Hotspring spa is on the water that is being pulled by that pump has to pass through a filter just like in Terminators diagram that he posted. On LA and a lot of other brands when the jet pumps are turned on there are bypass valves connected to the suction ports that you see around the footwell of your spa and a lot of that water is going through and right back to the spa. Totally bypassing the filter.

It is just semantics(?sp) If your spa does not use the main pumps for filtering, and they are not connected to the filtration system, wouldn't that still be called no bypass filtration? The spa will filter the same amount of water through the filter no matter what. It will never pull water from somewhere else while it is filtering. Therefore, you are never bypassing the filtration system.

When you separate the main pump system totally from the filtration system, you allow your pumps to work at full potential all the time because there are no filters to restrict them.

I guess you could also call Hotspring 100% restricted jetting ;)

I dont know, I dont really care about it but at the same time, their website specifically says that ther is no bypass and 100 percent filtration. Personally I have never seen any of the newer hot tubs have dirt water in it. Maybe its the redneck in me.

Does the spa represented in the preceding diagram filter every single drop of water BEFORE it enters the pump, heater, and internal plumbing? (A simple yes or no would be beneficial for the laypeople.)

Terminator :)

Does the spa represented in the preceding diagram filter every single drop of water BEFORE it enters the pump, heater, and internal plumbing? (A simple yes or no would be beneficial for the laypeople.)

Before it enters the heater? Yes.

Before it enters the pump? no.

Has it ever been an issue with the pumps? No

Has it ever been an issue with the internal plumbing? No

How big are the holes that the pumps suck through? 1/8"

How many gallons are pumped through the filter per day? 50 thousand

How many gallons/minute are being pumped through the filter? 35

How many filters are required to achieve this? 1

Thank you.

One of the many great benefits about 100% No-Bypass Filtration that HotSpring utilizes is the prevention of hair, dead skin, dirt, etc from being introduced into the pump, heater, plumbing, and back into the main body of water in the spa. In our (East Texas Spa) 21 years of selling and servicing HotSpring Spas, we have had the good fortune to only replace 8 (eight) jet pumps during this period. One of our competitors actually calculated the failure rate for me one day and it came to about .002% which he admitted was FAR below his brand's failure rate.

If anyone cares to refute this statement, I am all ears:

It is better to filter hair, dead skin, dirt, debris BEFORE it ever enters the spas internals than NOT to filter hair, dead skin, dirt, debris before it ever enters the spas internals. HotSpring is the ONLY major spa brand that does this.

That's it! :)

Terminator

Thank you.

One of the many great benefits about 100% No-Bypass Filtration that HotSpring utilizes is the prevention of hair, dead skin, dirt, etc from being introduced into the pump, heater, plumbing, and back into the main body of water in the spa. In our (East Texas Spa) 21 years of selling and servicing HotSpring Spas, we have had the good fortune to only replace 8 (eight) jet pumps during this period. One of our competitors actually calculated the failure rate for me one day and it came to about .002% which he admitted was FAR below his brand's failure rate.

It is better to filter hair, dead skin, dirt, debris BEFORE it ever enters the spas internals than NOT to filter hair, dead skin, dirt, debris before it ever enters the spas internals. HotSpring is the ONLY major spa brand that does this.

Terminator

Well hopefully everybody's got it now. It's all quite simple, if you look in the footwell of any spa and you see intakes, It's not a HotSpring!

Thank you.

Terminator

I just want to add that we do service and repair on all brands and it is not uncommon to pull a pump apart on a system that bypasses the filter and find the impellar with debris in the impellar and that can effect the life of the pump as well as reducing yor flow rates.

Whats interesting is that only the one filter that is plumbed directly to the circ pump is "No Bypass" Hot Springs builds a nice product and has a very good dealer base with some real pro's but there are genuine alternatives to how they do things and some of them have real merit.

That's the case with all circ pump spas (with the exception of Hot Springs obviously since they do have the jets plumbed directly as well). It seems like that's been a bit confusing to some of late but I'll let others chime in.

Whats interesting is that only the one filter that is plumbed directly to the circ pump is "No Bypass" Hot Springs builds a nice product and has a very good dealer base with some real pro's but there are genuine alternatives to how they do things and some of them have real merit.

This is not correct, all the filters in a HotSpring are no-bypass. I've said this in a previous post, If their are suction fittings in a spas footwell, it is not a HotSpring Spa. Hotspring has no footwell suction fittings, all the intakes are in the filter compartment, with filters on them.

You need to look again at a Hotspring spa because your wrong on that point. You will not find ANY suction ports in the footwell of a Hotspring spa. So if the other pumps and filters have a bypass where are they getting their water from if not through the filters?

Every bit of the water going through the system is going through a filter first.

Whats interesting is that only the one filter that is plumbed directly to the circ pump is "No Bypass"

Incorrect statement. 100% No-Bypass Filtration simply means this:

Every Single Drop of Water is Filtered Before It Ever Enters the Spa's Pump, Heater, Plumbing, Jets.

Every brand of spa that has bypass valves, suction fittings, "safety" fittings, etc. DOES NOT filter every single drop of water.

My gosh, it ain't rocket science folks. You either filter the water before it goes into the spa's internals or you don't. HotSpring is the only major spa company that DOES. Every other major spa company DOES NOT.

That's as black and white as it gets. There is no gray.

Pictures work much better for example.......................

Here is my spa. Notice, no bypass in foot area.

IPB Image

Here is an LA spa and you will notice 2 bypass cans in the foot area.

IPB Image

This is to help clear up confusion. If you have those round vents sticking out of the foot area that is where the unfiltered water goes to get pumped back out through the jets....FWIW

Pictures work much better for example.......................

Here is my spa. Notice, no bypass in foot area.

IPB Image

Here is an LA spa and you will notice 2 bypass cans in the foot area.

IPB Image

This is to help clear up confusion. If you have those round vents sticking out of the foot area that is where the unfiltered water goes to get pumped back out through the jets....FWIW

Do you need two suction area's at some point in the tub?. That is interesting how hotsprings works. If you do not have a bypass does that make certain jets weaker that are further from the filter area? I thought having no bypass makes some jets weaker.

Do you need two suction area's at some point in the tub?. That is interesting how hotsprings works. If you do not have a bypass does that make certain jets weaker that are further from the filter area? I thought having no bypass makes some jets weaker.

The jets are not going to be weaker that are farther from the filter as the system is run off a manifold so all jets will get equal pressure.

The no bypass makes the jets weaker is just a sales tactic that competitors use to sell against Hotspring but if you ask a owner like Jack you'll find that is not true.

Terminator I'm sure can give better details then me since I've only been an owner for about a month now, but the water goes through the filter first, then the pump and out the jets. Not sure why someone would think the pressure therefore would be less. I do not like full pressure on me, its too much but I do use more then my wife. I don't know how much pressure people are looking for? Welts on the back? Bruises? Give a HS a wettest then decide if the jets are weak or not. I would bet that the majority of folks who pass on the HS have weak jets rumor have never tried one.

Terminator I'm sure can give better details then me since I've only been an owner for about a month now, but the water goes through the filter first, then the pump and out the jets. Not sure why someone would think the pressure therefore would be less. I do not like full pressure on me, its too much but I do use more then my wife. I don't know how much pressure people are looking for? Welts on the back? Bruises? Give a HS a wettest then decide if the jets are weak or not. I would bet that the majority of folks who pass on the HS have weak jets rumor have never tried one.

Thats why its a good idea to test soak. The nice thing about the way Hotsprings plumbs their jets is you have a couple different ways to adjust the pressure out of the jets to set them for your prefference.

Give a HS a wettest then decide if the jets are weak or not. I would bet that the majority of folks who pass on the HS have weak jets rumor have never tried one.

That advice says it all, take what they say and then look into it yourself. Sometimes sales people says the craziest things about the competition as a means of boosting up their own image, regardless of how much sense it may make. I'm not sure who it was or where it was said but some nutjob just lately said that foam causes plumbing leaks because it rigidly holds the plumbing in place therfore causing it to become brittle. Can you believe anyone would try to pass off something that stupid. :wacko:

That advice says it all, take what they say and then look into it yourself. Sometimes sales people says the craziest things about the competition as a means of boosting up their own image, regardless of how much sense it may make. I'm not sure who it was or where it was said but some nutjob just lately said that foam causes plumbing leaks because it rigidly holds the plumbing in place therfore causing it to become brittle. Can you believe anyone would try to pass off something that stupid. :wacko:

That was yor fellow cop buddy