Gazebo Or No Gazebo?

Jack L

Time is getting close, only a few days before our HS Vanguard is installed (Tues). Originally we thought about getting one of those attache-to-the-side gazebo then later I figured if we were to get one, I'd get one with a little room. Now we are thinking of no gazebo.... From folks I've talked to it seems most of them prefer not to have anything over or around them. Just wondered what the concensus is here about if you have one, or wished you had one...etc.

I'll post pictures of the spa after we get it installed, but I still do have lots of work to do to our area. We had a 15'x20' slap poured then I will be adding slate to the top of it after the tub is installed and who knows what else. (the wife is in control on this one, I just do as she requests)...

So, any thoughts on a Gazebo? If you have one, any pictures to show?

Time is getting close, only a few days before our HS Vanguard is installed (Tues). Originally we thought about getting one of those attache-to-the-side gazebo then later I figured if we were to get one, I'd get one with a little room. Now we are thinking of no gazebo.... From folks I've talked to it seems most of them prefer not to have anything over or around them. Just wondered what the concensus is here about if you have one, or wished you had one...etc.

I'll post pictures of the spa after we get it installed, but I still do have lots of work to do to our area. We had a 15'x20' slap poured then I will be adding slate to the top of it after the tub is installed and who knows what else. (the wife is in control on this one, I just do as she requests)...

I would never put anything over the top of my spa. I like sitting out at night looking up at the stars.

Crap I cant believe I said that.

I say scrap the gazebo. A big part of the tubbing-outside-thing for me is checking out what's going on skyward. If you want an "inside" tubbing experience, save yourself some big money and don't buy a tub. Just use the indoors tub at the local health club.

Yea, so far that is what I've been hearing from people. One guy told me the best time to be hot-tubbing is when its snowing. I was thinking of doing one of these things over-around the tub maybe instead of the enclosure as we had originally figured on getting.......

IPB Image

With this thing my wife could hang stuff, and decorate as needed. Anyway, just my idea today. Good chance it will change again as I read and surf the more.

Yea, so far that is what I've been hearing from people. One guy told me the best time to be hot-tubbing is when its snowing. I was thinking of doing one of these things over-around the tub maybe instead of the enclosure as we had originally figured on getting.......

That thing is called a pergola according to my carpenter.

I talked to my brother-in-law the other day about his tub. He has had an uncovered hot tub in his backyard in northern Vermont for five years. He and my sister use it uncovered (read that however you care to) almost every day, year round. They are about to move now, and I asked my b-in-law if he was going to put in a hot tub at his new place. He said absolutely, but that he would build a screened porch or gazebo over it this time. He said he is tired of mosquitos, rain, wind and snow. Later I talked to my sister and she said no way would it be covered because she loved seeing the stars and snow, and mosquitos are not a big deal.

I'm about to put one in here in Minnesota and I'm going to put it under the stars. From my experience in other people's tubs, being outdoors really is part of the pleasure of having one, and there is something really neat about hot tubbing in the snow and cold....but I'm going to leave enough room around it for a gazebo when and if I get tired of rain and mosquitos and wind......

i dont really have an opinion on the gazego but you should give serious thought to finishong off the slab with the slate before installing the tub. this way if you decide to move it a little to the left, right, forward backward,etc. you can do so easily- i just had a 5" slab poured and flag stone cemented on top of it so its really a level patio, my grandee will sit on top of it and in still can place whereever i want on the "patio" it is schedule to be installed in April. good luck

Depending on what part of the country you are in can be a factor (I'm in N.E) and we loved our tub on the deck (no gazebo). Our only complaints is that we have trees close by and occasionly get a falling branch or Pine sap which makes cover purchases more frequent than we would like. Rain can damper (pardon the pun) the tub time if its cold. Outside of that stuff we can say--no gazebo--but dont put the tub too far from the house if you get snow! BRRRR. Good Luck

Cros'

That thing is called a pergola according to my carpenter.

I talked to my brother-in-law the other day about his tub. He has had an uncovered hot tub in his backyard in northern Vermont for five years. He and my sister use it uncovered (read that however you care to) almost every day, year round. They are about to move now, and I asked my b-in-law if he was going to put in a hot tub at his new place. He said absolutely, but that he would build a screened porch or gazebo over it this time. He said he is tired of mosquitos, rain, wind and snow. Later I talked to my sister and she said no way would it be covered because she loved seeing the stars and snow, and mosquitos are not a big deal.

I'm about to put one in here in Minnesota and I'm going to put it under the stars. From my experience in other people's tubs, being outdoors really is part of the pleasure of having one, and there is something really neat about hot tubbing in the snow and cold....but I'm going to leave enough room around it for a gazebo when and if I get tired of rain and mosquitos and wind......

Gazebo works has a nice line of gazebo's and the garden shoji 100 is really nice and the Caranado.

I have my tub outdoors, no gazebo and i love it. I am thinking of adding a gazebo type structure, but nothing that will hinder my view of the sky. I have a 10' x 12' deck that my tub sits on right now (7' tub). I will be putting up sort of walls (more like high fence) with hinged slats that i can open up wide should i want that "outdoor" effect, or can close during high-wind times. The roof i will be constructing from lexan (have a friend who can get me it for cheap) so that i still can see up. If i couldn't do this, i wouldn't every totally enclose it, outside is wonderfull.