Swg Salt Level Question.

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new pool owner and opted to go with an SWG system. I'm using the Goldline Aqua Rite and just started it up a few days ago. My pool is 18,000 Gallons and I added 400lbs of salt (8 bags at 50lbs per bag). My pool is showing that it is at 3100 ppm. The Manual says that 3200ppm is optimal but I really didn't want to open another bag of salt just to get that extra 100ppm. The Control System shows that the pool isa at 3200ppm when it first starts up and then drops to 3100ppm after about an 30 minutes. I have the output set at 70% and the pump is on for 8 hours a day. My chlorine levels are good and the pool is holding the free chlorine so everything seems fine. Does it hurt anything to run the SWG system at 3100ppm or should I add salt to bring it up to 3200ppm?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. We jumped into this pool head first (pun intended) and did little research before hand. Keeping everything at optimal levels is a little overwhelming at first. there seems to be so much I need to know.

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new pool owner and opted to go with an SWG system. I'm using the Goldline Aqua Rite and just started it up a few days ago. My pool is 18,000 Gallons and I added 400lbs of salt (8 bags at 50lbs per bag). My pool is showing that it is at 3100 ppm. The Manual says that 3200ppm is optimal but I really didn't want to open another bag of salt just to get that extra 100ppm. The Control System shows that the pool isa at 3200ppm when it first starts up and then drops to 3100ppm after about an 30 minutes. I have the output set at 70% and the pump is on for 8 hours a day. My chlorine levels are good and the pool is holding the free chlorine so everything seems fine. Does it hurt anything to run the SWG system at 3100ppm or should I add salt to bring it up to 3200ppm?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. We jumped into this pool head first (pun intended) and did little research before hand. Keeping everything at optimal levels is a little overwhelming at first. there seems to be so much I need to know.

If you want to know your salt levels you need to use a chemical test for chloride (such as the Taylor titration testkit for chloride or the Aquachek Salt Test strips.) The salt level meters in SWGs are really conductivity meters and only estimate the salt level and the level will change as the temperature of the water changes. It's close enought for government work so don't loose any sleep over your reading of 3100 ppm. However, it's ususally a bit better to run the salt slightly higher than lower since it will help lengthen the life of your cell and it gives you a bit of backup in case you get a rainstorm that will dilute the salt level in the water. Your SWG will shut off and stop producing chlorine if the salt level drops below 2500 ppm to protect the cell.

Hi everyone,

If you want to know your salt levels you need to use a chemical test for chloride (such as the Taylor titration testkit for chloride or the Aquachek Salt Test strips.) The salt level meters in SWGs are really conductivity meters and only estimate the salt level and the level will change as the temperature of the water changes. It's close enought for government work so don't loose any sleep over your reading of 3100 ppm. However, it's ususally a bit better to run the salt slightly higher than lower since it will help lengthen the life of your cell and it gives you a bit of backup in case you get a rainstorm that will dilute the salt level in the water. Your SWG will shut off and stop producing chlorine if the salt level drops below 2500 ppm to protect the cell.

Great, thank you so much for the reply waterbear.