Round Hot Tubs

Mr. Ed

If it's just a snow storm a t-shirt is fine, but if its cold like 20-30 below I need a wind breaker and a hat.

40 below is good swimming weather here, lol take a look at the pic, that was me and it was -40 that day, water was 32, did a 20 minute dip in a wetsuit, not dry). Getting spoiled this year though, it's only hit -40 a few times, mostly this month been a tropical -20 to -30.

This has been helpful. I've found four or five brands of round tubs with dealers in the area. From the specs on the web though, the tubs seem to run from 72" to 84" in diameter, 30" to 40" in height, and 220 gallons to 400 gallons in water capacity. Roger is right about it being cold here. I assume that heat loss is inversely related to water volume. Do bigger tubs retain heat better in cold weather? Are they cheaper to operate? Mr. Ed

Absolutly not. Bigger tubs are more expensive to operate.

Absolutly not. Bigger tubs are more expensive to operate.

Yes, I see that. I didn't express myself very well. Obviously it takes more power to heat a large volume of water to a given temperature than a small volume of water. However the volume of an object increases faster than the surface area. Since all round tubs will have about the same shape, I would think that the larger ones should be relatively more efficient. For instance, it should not require twice as much electricity to maintain the temperature of a 400 gallon tub than a 200 gallon tub. It might take, say, 20% more power. I want to get a tub that is big enough for me to be comfortable in, but I don't want to mortgage the farm to run it. Likewise, because of their compact shape, won't a round tub be a little bit more efficient than a square tub? We rarely lose power here, but I'd like to think that my tub and plumbing could hold out for a while without power at 30 below. Bigger is better, right?

Yes, I see that. I didn't express myself very well. Obviously it takes more power to heat a large volume of water to a given temperature than a small volume of water. However the volume of an object increases faster than the surface area. Since all round tubs will have about the same shape, I would think that the larger ones should be relatively more efficient. For instance, it should not require twice as much electricity to maintain the temperature of a 400 gallon tub than a 200 gallon tub. It might take, say, 20% more power. I want to get a tub that is big enough for me to be comfortable in, but I don't want to mortgage the farm to run it. Likewise, because of their compact shape, won't a round tub be a little bit more efficient than a square tub? We rarely lose power here, but I'd like to think that my tub and plumbing could hold out for a while without power at 30 below. Bigger is better, right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here because to be honest I do not know the correct answer but will try and analyze this. 200 versus 400 it will take more power to heat but not twice as much power. Theres a few reasons why and it would be a long type. Now once at temp because the way a tub works, temperature drops through out the whole unit are measured thermastacticly, and when they reach a set point the heating system kicks on I would say this also would facilitate more energy to maintain heat but only slightly more. As far as holding out during a power down situation I would say again if there is a difference it would be minumal as the plumbing is probably close to the same size on both units and this is where issues with freezing occur long before theres a vessel freeze.

Well, round tubs arn't quite as rare as I thought when I started. The wooden ones like the Roberts tubs are beautiful, but I think I need a liner and some serious insulation up here. I have eliminated a brand or two based on some of your comments. Now I'm going to toss my swim suit in the car and go see some dealers. So far the short list looks like this (in no particular order): Vita Spa Cirque, Nordic Crown XL/Warrior XL, Solana RX, Freeflow Legend, Beachcomber 320, Artesian Aladdin and Great Lakes Sunlighter. This is probably enough to chose from, but have I missed anybody's favorite round tub? Does anyone have anything to say about any of the tubs on my list? Mr. Ed

40 below is good swimming weather here, lol take a look at the pic, that was me and it was -40 that day, water was 32, did a 20 minute dip in a wetsuit, not dry). Getting spoiled this year though, it's only hit -40 a few times, mostly this month been a tropical -20 to -30.

We had our local Polar Bear dip last weekend. I opted out brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ed You have alot of choices get the wet test done along with prices and you will see that some are more money and some will feel better than others. I like Nordic they are a good value but not as nice as the Solana or Beachcomber which will cost more. Great Lakes also is a nice simple inexpensive tub and a good value but not as nice as the other 2. I have never looked at the Vita.

We had our local Polar Bear dip last weekend. I opted out brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I may be crazy, but not stupid. Count me out of the polar bear dip, lol. I did this dive to further my career (became an instructor, but no longer). Also, even though i was in a wetsuit, the water that enters the suit while cold at first does heat up quickly (it also helps to have your tender dump a thermos full of very warm water in your suit just before entering). Never did a polar bear dip and never intend to, you got more **lls than I, lol.

I may be crazy, but not stupid. Count me out of the polar bear dip, lol. I did this dive to further my career (became an instructor, but no longer). Also, even though i was in a wetsuit, the water that enters the suit while cold at first does heat up quickly (it also helps to have your tender dump a thermos full of very warm water in your suit just before entering). Never did a polar bear dip and never intend to, you got more **lls than I, lol.

No I said I opted out because I wanted to keep said B**ls where they are instead of in my throat...LOL I have however partaken in it and can say from experience the hot tubs they have waiting, whatever brand they are fell better than any tub I have ever been in.

Well, round tubs arn't quite as rare as I thought when I started. The wooden ones like the Roberts tubs are beautiful, but I think I need a liner and some serious insulation up here. I have eliminated a brand or two based on some of your comments. Now I'm going to toss my swim suit in the car and go see some dealers. So far the short list looks like this (in no particular order): Vita Spa Cirque, Nordic Crown XL/Warrior XL, Solana RX, Freeflow Legend, Beachcomber 320, Artesian Aladdin and Great Lakes Sunlighter. This is probably enough to chose from, but have I missed anybody's favorite round tub? Does anyone have anything to say about any of the tubs on my list? Mr. Ed

Ed, just my 2 cents to go along with all the rest. I bought a Nordic Crown II in the spring of 2002. 4 years later and I haven't had to do a single bit of repair to the tub. It has performed wonderfully through the years including 4 Maine winters. Like Minn, it gets cold here for prolonged periods of time. I had the thing hard wired for 220 opperation and have never been in the thing where is could not maintain water temp. It does not have a ton of room in it, but for a couple people who don't mind touching each other there is plenty of room. Not a fancy tub at all. Great for soaking and some jet action, but if you're looking for real jet therapy this is probably not the way to go. Additionally, it was very easy to get in place and set it up. I picked the thing up at the store in a pickup and my wife and I were able to get it into place with no additional help. Being round, I was able to roll it into a pretty tight spot that I would have been unable to get a square tub into. This is getting long....One additional point. I recently moved and it was easy to take the tub with me. Disconnecting, moving, and reconnecting caused no problems with the opperation of the tub.

If I bought tub again Nordic would be high on my list as far as reliability.

MDC

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, just my 2 cents to go along with all the rest. I bought a Nordic Crown II in the spring of 2002. 4 years later and I haven't had to do a single bit of repair to the tub. It has performed wonderfully through the years including 4 Maine winters. Like Minn, it gets cold here for prolonged periods of time. I had the thing hard wired for 220 opperation and have never been in the thing where is could not maintain water temp. It does not have a ton of room in it, but for a couple people who don't mind touching each other there is plenty of room. Not a fancy tub at all. Great for soaking and some jet action, but if you're looking for real jet therapy this is probably not the way to go. Additionally, it was very easy to get in place and set it up. I picked the thing up at the store in a pickup and my wife and I were able to get it into place with no additional help. Being round, I was able to roll it into a pretty tight spot that I would have been unable to get a square tub into. This is getting long....One additional point. I recently moved and it was easy to take the tub with me. Disconnecting, moving, and reconnecting caused no problems with the opperation of the tub.

If I bought tub again Nordic would be high on my list as far as reliability.

MDC

Trying something new sometimes is also great when you do your research. You might find out later on down the road you might want something with a little more therapy.