Micropure Disposible Filters

makailey1

Hi everyone,

I am looking at using the Micropure micron disposible filters and was wondering if anyone out there has used them. They say you will have crystal clear water without using any defoamers, stain and scale, clarifiers and cleaners. All you do is replace the filter every 3-5 months. Any information would be apreciated.

thanks

Hi everyone,

I am looking at using the Micropure micron disposible filters and was wondering if anyone out there has used them. They say you will have crystal clear water without using any defoamers, stain and scale, clarifiers and cleaners. All you do is replace the filter every 3-5 months. Any information would be apreciated.

thanks

I have used the Microban filters if that is what you are referring to. Mine were pretty expensive and I dont know that they are much different than regular filters. Replacing filters 3-5 months, it seems to me, very expensive. If you keep your chemicals right your water will be crystal clear even with regular filters. Just depends on how much you want to spend. I have paid 52.00 for the micorban filters and regular replacement filters pleatco or what have you run 21.00-35.00. My filters have lasted since I got the tub in August. I just wash them off with a garden hose or kitchen sink sprayer each week. They do need a thorough cleaning though now so I just ordered some filter cleaner to soak them in. Anyway, that is just my 2cents worth. Good luck.

I spoke to my dealer about the micropure filters, arctics brand anyways, when i first got my tub. He said they work great, even as claimed, but tend to be on the expensive side so recommended the reusable filters. I've found that by cleaning my filter once a month and watching my chemistry, my water has remained crystal clear, and i haven't had to use any defoamers, and only use a very small amount of easy clear once a week. It helps that my dealer offers free filter cleaning once per month also, and does this for other people even if they don't own an arctic, so long as they buy thier chemicals from him. The replaceable filters, I was told, tend to work better for people who bought thier tub for use at a resort, b&b, etc just for the simplicity.

I spoke to my dealer about the micropure filters, arctics brand anyways, when i first got my tub. He said they work great, even as claimed, but tend to be on the expensive side so recommended the reusable filters. I've found that by cleaning my filter once a month and watching my chemistry, my water has remained crystal clear, and i haven't had to use any defoamers, and only use a very small amount of easy clear once a week. It helps that my dealer offers free filter cleaning once per month also, and does this for other people even if they don't own an arctic, so long as they buy thier chemicals from him. The replaceable filters, I was told, tend to work better for people who bought thier tub for use at a resort, b&b, etc just for the simplicity.

That sounds like a great idea and a nice thing to do for customer. Does he give acid washes to the filters or does he use GLB or Robarb filter cleaner?

• 1 year later...

I have used two kinds of disposable filters (Micropure and Fiberflow) over the past 3 years since purchasing my second spa. The salesman told me the advantages were that the disposable filters clean down to a smaller micron size, keeping your water clearer. In my experience, these filters work very well and I would not go back to cleaning filters. As far as the other guys comments on reduced chemical usage, it is true. I work in the health care field and I feel that most people don't realize that adding a ton of chemicals to your water does not only "treat" your water, it "treats" your skin. Absorbing a wide variety of chemicals through your skin is not an appealing situation...kind of detracts from the relaxing spa experience for me anyway. Saving money on chemicals balances out with the higher cost of replacing the filters more often. (BTW, I paid $100 for 4 filters.)

As you correctly point out, the 1 micron filter will clear the water better.

Doesn't help for chemical use however, you still need the same amount. Bacteria are smaller than that.

Btw, did you ask the salesman what happens to all the bacteria stuck on the outside of the filter? ;)

Chemical use between the two should be the same. The iea it uses less chems with teh disposable is salesman talk IMO. I would save the money and go with the regular pleated filter but either way will work so if you don't mind the extra cost or waste of materials into the landfill then the disposable will work fine as well.

I am new to all this spa stuff, so I don't know much. But, I'll relay what I have learned.

My Sundance spa came with their MicroClean Plus filter, with recommendations to throw it away about every 6 months...or every 2 water changes. At $100 to $120 a filter, it adds up rather quickly vs. $60 for a washable/reusable filter that will last quite a few years. Plus, my rough calculations estimate that I use about $35 worth of chemicals per fill with the washable/reusable filters.

So, estimated cost per fill:

MicroClean Filter = $55

Washable Filter = $6.67 (assuming it lasts 3 years and draining the spa every 4 months)

Chemicals = $35

At $90 per fill with MicroClean filter vs. $41.67 per fill with washable filter, there is no way the MicroClean filter will pay for itself by using less chemicals.

Everyone's fill water and chemical maintenenace is different...this is how it works for my situation.

My new spa was installed in September with a regular pleated filter. My well water is really crappy and I had to clean the pleated filter every day. I don't mind cleaning the filter if I can just drag the filter over to the garden hose in the yard but we get real winters here and there is no running water outside. Dragging a heavy, wet filter through the house and trying to clean it in the laundry sink is serious PITA.

I bought a hose-mounted prefilter for filling and went with a micron filter so I did not have to clean the filter every day. The local Arctic Spa dealer sells them for 35$ CAN and recommends leaving them in MAX 3 months. For me the convenience outweighs the cost. I will probably use the pleated filter again in the warmer months.

• 1 month later...

It all depends on how you value your time.

Personally, I wash my car at the local "old time" car wash where I get out....and the boys (and girls) scrub away.

This costs me $12.

Or I could spend $5 spraying my car (and myself) and another $15 removing the grease from my jacket (that some grease monkey left on the spray wand hose) at the drycleaners. (Sounds like experience talking ;-)

Everyone will have their own opinion....but I have had good luck with disposable filters.

• 11 months later...
It all depends on how you value your time.

Personally, I wash my car at the local "old time" car wash where I get out....and the boys (and girls) scrub away.

This costs me $12.

Or I could spend $5 spraying my car (and myself) and another $15 removing the grease from my jacket (that some grease monkey left on the spray wand hose) at the drycleaners. (Sounds like experience talking ;-)

Everyone will have their own opinion....but I have had good luck with disposable filters.

As do I! (disposable filters)

I have been a spa owner for just over two years and developed a nasty rash which after several Drs visits etc etc etc came down to chemical dermatitis and was confirmed bromine allergy.

After trying almost every viable combination it came down to this for me... a filtered water fill every 3 months with Micro Pure filters & a Nature 2 cartridge and just a weekly shock of Lithium Chlorine with the help of ozone and that's it folks! CRYSTAL CLEAR CLEAN WATER

Water has been tested regularly for bacteria through a lab and I was even able to get bacteria test strips with 20 min test results and ZERO beasties... and we use our tub nightly! We also had the standard reagent testing as well as laser scan analysis on we are bang on the mark chemically.

Personally...I would NEVER switch back to paper cartridge filters ever again... my time is worth it esp in the winter months where cleaning is a pain!

Cheers! :rolleyes: