How To Switch To Salt Water Generator

We are having a 24 ft above ground pool installed in less than 2 weeks. I know for a fact that I want a salt water system, but none of the places around here seem to know much about them (despite the fact that they SELL them *eyeroll*).

My guess is that we will have to begin with the regular chemicals and then go to a salt water system once we educate ourselves a bit more on them.

My hubby and I both want to know how we would go to a salt water system at a later time though. Would the pool have to be emptied?

No, your pool should not need to be emptied. Assuming your pool chemistry is "normal" for a regular non-salt pool, then all that is done is to add salt (solar salt or other high purity salt) to get to around 3000 ppm salt level. That's all that is done to your pool water. The rest is equipment changes to install the saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) into your piping.

You might also need to make small adjustments to your CYA and other water parameters but it is not a big deal. If you have an above ground pool you should check out the Goldline AquaTrol units. They are made sepcifically for above ground pools and are very easy to install yourself! www.goldlinecontrols.com

Goldline is owned by Hayward.

If your going with a salt system, I recommend you buy now. When there doing the plumbing, you can ask them to install it for you. Mention a tip and they will just cut the PVC and slip it on.

If your going to do this in the future, make sure you tell the installer this. Have them set up the PVC piping for you so that it will be easy for you to install it.