Pre-install Site Prep

Ok, so I've pulled the trigger on the spa, now I need to get the site ready for it.

Checklist as I see it:

* call an elec. to get the bid and schedule to do the hookup

* get permit (sigh)

* prep pad

I'm ok on the 1st two - only question would be best way to lay out the elec. to be up to code and yet not a total ugly mess on the wall - this has one of those 230volt GFIC sub-panels, and that subpanel has to be at least 5' from the spa.

Here's a bad ascii drawing of the site

xxx House crawlspace xxxx| <- elec panel is here

++--------------------------------------------+

++....10'.............=======

++......................= tub...... =

++......................= 7x7..... =

++......................=======

We're thinking, run the hard line to the GFIC in the crawlspace, with the GFIC 10' or so from the tub (near left side of the drawing) 5' or so up the wall - there is a hose bib about 6' along that wall so we want to get the box up and away from it to keep it from getting any water on it. Then we were hoping to run the line from the GFIC to the tub again mostly under the crawlspace, popping out near the tub itself (it's going to sit about 2' from the house) and just crossing that space with above-ground conduit.

For the pad itself, there is already a concrete walkway wider then 7' there - I was just going to use something like fiber-reinforced concrete mix & concrete bonding adhesive to skim coat the exising walkway just where the spa is going to be placed, to level it out - it's mostly level now, so overall we are talking 1" or less build up.

Does that sound right?

Sounds good to me.

Ok, so I've pulled the trigger on the spa, now I need to get the site ready for it.

Checklist as I see it:

* call an elec. to get the bid and schedule to do the hookup

* get permit (sigh)

* prep pad

I'm ok on the 1st two - only question would be best way to lay out the elec. to be up to code and yet not a total ugly mess on the wall - this has one of those 230volt GFIC sub-panels, and that subpanel has to be at least 5' from the spa.

Here's a bad ascii drawing of the site

xxx House crawlspace xxxx| <- elec panel is here

++--------------------------------------------+

++....10'.............=======

++......................= tub...... =

++......................= 7x7..... =

++......................=======

We're thinking, run the hard line to the GFIC in the crawlspace, with the GFIC 10' or so from the tub (near left side of the drawing) 5' or so up the wall - there is a hose bib about 6' along that wall so we want to get the box up and away from it to keep it from getting any water on it. Then we were hoping to run the line from the GFIC to the tub again mostly under the crawlspace, popping out near the tub itself (it's going to sit about 2' from the house) and just crossing that space with above-ground conduit.

For the pad itself, there is already a concrete walkway wider then 7' there - I was just going to use something like fiber-reinforced concrete mix & concrete bonding adhesive to skim coat the exising walkway just where the spa is going to be placed, to level it out - it's mostly level now, so overall we are talking 1" or less build up.

Does that sound right?

You may want to keep the disconnect in the line of sight from the spa electricals for the permit reqs ...

Yep, thanks - it would be if we do it as outlined above (hard to get that from the horrible ascii drawing, I know, but it will be visible on the wall from the tub)

Looking good overall so far - got the elec. contractor lined up (he figured the job at $400-$500 depending on materials - I'm gonna use the same sub that wired in my patio-room so he knows the elec. panel and crawlspace well... plus he does good work ;) )

Spa place came out for the site inspection today and clearences are good, and they oked my plan for the pad.

So, just gotta make the pad, wait wait wait, pull the permit, and get it all in. And pay for it. Sigh...