Disconnect

Kizzer

I just got a quote to run 240V to my spa, but it didn't included a disconnect. I was told it was not needed. Is it?

Thanks.

You will need a GFCI out by the tub which will function as a dissconect and a standerd breaker inside. Or a GFCI breaker inside and a dissconect outside. The prefered method is to put the GFCI as a dissconnect outside so it is by the tub for service instead of inside.

I just got a quote to run 240V to my spa, but it didn't included a disconnect. I was told it was not needed. Is it?

Thanks.

Yes it is needed by code, and your spa needs to be GFI protected. Who told you it wasn't needed? I hope it wasn't a electrician! RSK

He says he is a registered electrician.

He told me that the breaker in the main panel would be GFI and all I needed. He said the disconnect was only there to "service" the spa, and offered no protection to the spa or the people in it.

Your electrician is correct a dissconect will offer no protection. But Your repair guy will want the GFCI out by the tub for service and I don't know about yours by the code in this city says it is required to have a dissconect within line of site but no closer than 5 feet from the tub

Your electrician is correct a dissconect will offer no protection. But Your repair guy will want the GFCI out by the tub for service and I don't know about yours by the code in this city says it is required to have a dissconect within line of site but no closer than 5 feet from the tub

I think that is code in most places. Spend the extra 75.00 and get the disconnect( thats about what they cost).

Can I have the same type of disconnect that is used for outside central A/C units? Hopefully so because he said that would only cost about $40 more.

I REALLY hope I don't need this kind of disconnect.

Thanks for your help!

Yes you can as long as you have a GFCI breaker in the main panel. You need a disconnect located between five and fifteen feet from the spa and can be seen from the spa. This is a safety item so you can disconnect your spa in the event of an emergency, yet not be able to reach it while in the water.

Yes you can as long as you have a GFCI breaker in the main panel. You need a disconnect located between five and fifteen feet from the spa and can be seen from the spa. This is a safety item so you can disconnect your spa in the event of an emergency, yet not be able to reach it while in the water.

I think cost of the GFI in the main and than adding the disconnect with be more costly than just getting the disconcert with the GFI and a 50 amp breaker for the main panel . It is about 8 bucks for the main panel breaker.

To have a disconnect no closer then 5 ft from the water is not only a city code but it is in the National Electric Code. The code doesn't give a max number of ft. all it says is that it has to be in sight from the spa. I got my spa panel from Home Depot for $89. It was a Cutler Hammer Panel, so it is not an off the wall unit.

Can I have the same type of disconnect that is used for outside central A/C units? Hopefully so because he said that would only cost about $40 more.

I REALLY hope I don't need this kind of disconnect.

Thanks for your help!

It is exceptable to put the GFCI breaker in the main panel and a simple AC dissconect out by the spa. But it is a terrible idea since the cost of a dissconect and a gfci breaker is about the same as a GFCI dissconect and a standerd 50-60 amp breaker for your main box. And it puts the GFCI out by the tub where your repair guy needs it.

Your municipality will probably require some type of outdoor disconnect by law as mentioned by others it is a safety thing. Also, if there is no outdoor disconnect, your dealer may refuse to service the tub should you ever need it. My electrician doesn't like putting the GFCI breaker outside, his personal preference and he explained is reasons, so i have my breaker inside the house in my box, and put an outdoor disconnect (60amp, my breaker for my tub is 40amp, just make sure your outdoor disconnect if you do it this way is higher rating) about 15 feet from the tub. It cost me only about $40 Cdn more to do it this way and I personally like it better (the idea of a breaker outside doesn't appeal to me).

Your municipality will probably require some type of outdoor disconnect by law as mentioned by others it is a safety thing. Also, if there is no outdoor disconnect, your dealer may refuse to service the tub should you ever need it. My electrician doesn't like putting the GFCI breaker outside, his personal preference and he explained is reasons, so i have my breaker inside the house in my box, and put an outdoor disconnect (60amp, my breaker for my tub is 40amp, just make sure your outdoor disconnect if you do it this way is higher rating) about 15 feet from the tub. It cost me only about $40 Cdn more to do it this way and I personally like it better (the idea of a breaker outside doesn't appeal to me).

An outdoor GFCI discconect box is made for being outside and is probably the most expensive way to go but by far the most ideal. It is very easy for the repair guy to not only check and listen for a GFCI trip problem but to also test the GFCI for it's function if it's all out by the tub. Both methods work but running in and out of the house to reset a GFCI during a repair cost the customer more time and we all know at 75 bucks an hour time is money.

One more aspect to consider.

If the cost of the disconnect is LESS than a day's pay at your job (and you decide to "save money" by not installing one), you'll have lost money the first time you have to take a day off work and sit home waiting for the spa tech to show up.

Of course, if you're comfortable leaving your house unlocked all day, or don't mind giving your spa dealer a key to your house, then the above point is moot.

Local codes may specify a max distance between the spa and disconnect - in my county it no more than 10 feet, and the minimum distance seems to be a standardized 5 feet.

The "logic" seems to be: Far enough you can't touch the spa and disconnect at the same time; close enough you can get to it in a hurry.

Just because your electrician is certified doesn't mean he knows all the codes. The one who helped me (I did 90% of the work) recommended putting the disconnect UNDER my deck, as I have a "trap door" to gain access to the inner parts of the spa - but I had in writting the county requirements which said otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Local codes may specify a max distance between the spa and disconnect - in my county it no more than 10 feet, and the minimum distance seems to be a standardized 5 feet.

The "logic" seems to be: Far enough you can't touch the spa and disconnect at the same time; close enough you can get to it in a hurry.

Just because your electrician is certified doesn't mean he knows all the codes. The one who helped me (I did 90% of the work) recommended putting the disconnect UNDER my deck, as I have a "trap door" to gain access to the inner parts of the spa - but I had in writting the county requirements which said otherwise.

In long island it is 5 ft in most areas.

• 4 years later...

I have a Jacuzzi Lexus spa that keeps displaying a FLO error code. I recently replaced pressure switch and also jumped it out to diagnose current problem. When I remove HiLimit/Temp harness from board and replace, system resets and works normally for a short time, then goes back to FLO error and shuts down.

Both sides give similar Ohm readings (20 ohms at 95 degrees). Flow through the jets and pump is normal.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and sure could use some help.

Thanks Joe