Bromine salt system, TA, and borates

We have a six-month-old spa with the Blue Fusion sodium bromide electrolysis system.  With this system pH is always creeping up; I have been testing with a Taylor test kit, using dry acid to bring pH down to 7.6 and baking soda when necessary to get TA to 80.

I have read waterbear's 3-step bromine method.  There the recommended TA is 50-70.   Is this interval a good one even with the electrolysis system we have?  Can/should we add borates as described there, or would that not be good for the bromide electrolysis system?  

Thanks very much!

the higher the TA the faster the pH will rise, particularly with a salt system because of the aeration created in the cell because of the generation of hydrogen bubbles so keeping the TA lower is important. Keeping the TA between 50-70 ppm will help because there will be less outgassing of CO2,which is the main cause of pH rise. Read these. It will help explain what's going on.

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52522-some-truths-about-ph-and-ta/

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28846-lowering-total-alkalinity-howto/

The second one goes into the chemistry of TA and why high TA causes a faster pH rise

Borate can be sued with a chlorine or bromine generator without problem and will help stabilize pH because it introduces a boric acid/borate buffer that, in conjunction with the carbonic acid/bicarbonate buffer we call TA helps "lock' the pH around 7.7 to 7.8. If you add borate do not lower the pH below 7.6 and don't lower it until it hits 8.0 or higher and keep the TA 50 to 70 ppm for best pH stability.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, Waterbear. I have Lamotte test strips now and a 5lb bag of DudaDiesel granular boric acid coming today. My plan is to keep TA in 50 to 70 range, make sure pH is 7.6 to 7.8, then add 0.5 pounds to my 325 gallon tub, then test and add more if necessary. 

• Like 1