Sierra

Hi!

looking for advice here mostly, my husband and I were given a hot tub for free in May 2023 because the owners no longer wanted it and didn’t want to fix the leaking jet. Well it’s now sat unwired, unfilled, and covered since then. Would it be worth the cost to have it wired and fix potential issues that have come up since being left alone for so long or should we just sink that money in to a brand new one? Thanks!

First understand free hot tubs are never free. I would take it one step at a time. Put it in the location you want. If you know what jet was leaking I might remove the jet and run a bead of marine grade silicone around where the jet body meets the acrylic. Wait for silicone to set then fill it and see of it holds water. 

On 3/18/2024 at 11:50 AM, soerrajl said:

Would it be worth the cost to have it wired and fix potential issues that have come up since being left alone for so long or should we just sink that money in to a brand new one?

New or used you have to run electrical to it. 

If you get past step one and it will hold water then you are in a good starting point. 

If you can get to the back of the motors there is a slot in the shaft of the motor. Use a flathead screwdriver and see if it will turn. If they turn freely you are ready to hook up electrical and flip the switch. 

How To Wire a Hot Tub Pump Motor Correctly The Spa Guy - YouTube

What brand of spa is it?

Post photos of the spa with the front panel open so we can see what you have.

What condition in the cover in?

If you get all the way to a running tub I would run a plumbing line cleaner like Ahh-Some through it then drain clean and refill before I let anyone use it to remove any nasties from inside the plumbing.