Hot Spring Spa

In January, I purchased a Hot Spring spa. It uses silver ion (or something like that). It's not a FROG system. There's no chlorine. I'm struggling reading the test strips. I think they read ok but then my water has a green tint to it. I've taken my water in and every time I have to add stuff to it (ph increaser or ph decreaser, alkalinity stuff, enhanced shock). It fixes it for a few days then I'm back to that unappealing green tint. I clean my filter weekly and I'm supposed to out a new silver ion tube in at four months. 

I'm so very new to all of this and sucked at chemistry in school. Is there a trick to getting the water blue on a consistent basis? Is there an easier (dummy-friendly) way to test the water and know exactly what to add? 

I spent so much money in this hot tub and want to make sure I'm doing the care correctly. 

Please help! 

It is a rebranded Nature 2 mineral stick. It contains silver nitrate and does require the use of chlorine for shocking and MPS (in conjunction with the silver and the hot water) as a sanitizer. I am not a fan of silver "mineral stick" systems. It's not really any different that the Frog systems.

Is your water al cloudy green or a clear green?

Cloudy indicates algae and is because you do not have a residual sanitizer in the water. Did you shock with chlorine (dichlor is the usual choice but I prefer bleach)  to activate the system and have you been adding the MPS after every soak? Have you been shocking with chlorine weekly?

Is your water a clear green color (and does your tub have a blue acrylic shell? If you you have iron in your water. Iron will color the water yellow and when viewed against the blue color of most tubs it makes the water look green.

Both of these are water balance issues and once we determine which is your problem we can take it form there.

Hey. Thanks for responding. The water is clear green. The shell is white. I'm unsure what MPS is, but I was told to use Spa Guard shock after every use and Spa Guard Enhanced Shock (which smells alot like chlorine) once a week. 

I clean the filter weekly. I remove it and rinse it, pleat by pleat, in the sink and place it back in the tub. 

I am so new at this and just want to get the balance correct and have blue water all the time. I don't want to life the cover and wonder if I'm gonna see clear green tint or clear blue tint 🙄