Cracks in spa shell - trying marine epoxy

I have a 35-year-old CalSpa on my back patio, cost me $3000 in 1988.  Maybe a decade ago it developed a small leak, not in the equipment section.  I could pull off two other panels and pull out some sprayed-in foam but could not isolate/identify a leak area.  There are about 6 to 8 small cracks in the shell, so maybe one or more of those is the cause of the leakage.  The 4th side is 8 inches from the house wall, so inaccessible.

So I've been adding "Fix a Leak" 3 or 3 times a year, and it DOES work. This week I drained the spa, hand sanded the cracks, and used JB Weld Marine Epoxy in an attempt to seal those.  After letting the marine epoxy set 24 hours, I added water, sodium bromide, and am observing....

Cal Spa.JPG

• Like 1

• Cusser changed the title to Cracks in spa shell - trying marine epoxy
  • 1 month later...

Update, April 17:

So far, so good, no leak.

However, even though I drained out 98% of the existing water that February day and tried flushing out the "dead volume" with fresh water, there could still be some of the hardened leak seal chemical "in place" doing its job.  So more time is needed...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, April 29:

Small leak noticed, water level 2" down (I don't check water level every day).  So I removed the filter and added more "Fix a Leak".  Well, the marine epoxy was a good try, spa is 36 years old.....the epoxy looks like it's still holding....

• Like 1