2015 Cal Spa with BP501x Control Box wont heat

drallis01

I have a 2015 Cal Spa Platinum Series P-880b with a Balboa BP 501x control box. Heater is HTR 5.5KW Titanium M7.

Top side is TP 600. No fault codes. TP 600 shows heat light on and steady (not flashing) Water wont heat and spa runs continuously. Temp stays at around 87 but is set to 100. Display is seat to Ready. 

I am slightly mechanically competent and contemplating just replacing the M7 heater tube or the entire BP 501x  with the M7. 

Any suggestions? Replace the M7 or the whole box and M7

20 reduced IMG_6808 (1).jpg

IMG_6795.JPG

On 12/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, drallis01 said:

I am slightly mechanically competent

Do you have a multi meter and know how to use it? Test for 240V power the the 2 heater lugs. If you get 240V replace the heater element. If you don't get 240V then you likely have a blown heater relay. If you have a bad relay remove the board and have a look on the backside and you will likely see a darkened or burnt area around the heater relays. Relays can be replaced fairly cheap ($20 each) and can be done DIY with the right soldering tools and a bit of soldering knowledge. The "slightly" part of your comment tells me you might want to fins a local electronics repair shop and have them do the work. I send mine out and I will normally have them replace all the relays on the board to freshen it up.

Replacing that entire pack might be difficult to find. The pack is a CS501x. The CS means it might be proprietary to Cal Spa and if so anything proprietary can be expensive to replace.

In the link below it says there is a universal replacement. I would contact the seller and have them tell you your available options. Make sure the circuit board is compatible with your topside. If the universal replacement will work shop that part number for best price. Removing the circuit board might seem daunting but if you take before photos and mark wires as you disconnect it's not that bad.

https://spacircuits.com/Cal-Spa-ELE09907296-Balboa--CSBP501X-Consider-the-universal-BP501U-replacement-PN-33-59375-K-which-will-replace-any-BP501Gx-board_p_11156.html

https://spacircuits.com/assets/images/ELE09907296 CSBP501X 56568-04 BP501-CSBP501X-AU Tech Sheet (2).pdf

Regarding the multi meter. I have one. Confirm test the 2 heater lugs and to test when the spa is calling for heat with the light solid and not flickering. 

The spa is 8 years new. I was thinking of just swapping out the whole control box/heating element. The Cal Spa site wants $750 for just the circuit board. I have found a few sites that sell the whole BP box/heater for around $540. I know I can do a complete swap just going 1 for 1 on the plugs and confirming the dip switches.  

For example here is a place that sells the whole unit for $567

https://www.hottuboutpost.com/cal-spas-pack-ele09002057-csbp501-csbp501x/

You are correct on the "slightly", I would not trust my skills to change a relay on the board. 

14 hours ago, drallis01 said:

Confirm test the 2 heater lugs and to test when the spa is calling for heat with the light solid and not flickering. 

yes

14 hours ago, drallis01 said:

I was thinking of just swapping out the whole control box/heating element.

It is an option

Where are you located?