Gecko - Tub Repair

Tman3825

Hi. Looking for help from you knowledgeable people.

gecko S class spa.

dual pump 240V 

pump 1 (hi & low)

At the end of last season, my tub died. Upon inspecting the pack, it had burned on the side nearest to the jumpers/Sensor Cables. Additionally, my heater element was also destroyed.

i ordered a new board + a new element. Installed both.

After installation, I’ve now started up my tub, and it seemed to heat quite slowly, although did get up to 100 degree temp. 

after coming back down the next day. My tub was not as hot, and the element died. Tested for continuity/resistance.

prior to installing my new element, I wanted to test everything to ensure I didn’t repeat the mistake. Jumper 3 was in the right spot, but not plugged in correctly.

i also noticed the tub when calling for heat was only displaying 120V. I then replaced the temperature switch. No fix. Then testing that cable for continuity I found an issue. After fixing the continuity, and later testing the voltage to the element got 240v

Now, after purchasing a new element, I’ve installed it. Turned the tub on, and after 10-15 seconds, the GFCI breaker trips. After taking a lead off the element, and testing the element, it’s fine and still showing resistance about 14/15.

i then tested pump one and running through a cycle low to high. It tripped the breaker. Pulling off the wiring from relay for low pump and putting back in… with one element lead off, no more tripping and pump will run.

once again plug in lead to element, and turn on GFCI for it to trip immediately.

I really can’t figure out what’s going on here… any ideas? 

Bit of an update here. @CanadianSpaTech I reset the heater inside the tube, and yes you're correct that was causing the short.

After having my tub up and running for about 3-4x days, I went to use the tub for the second time. While in the tub, I increased the heat to 102F. It could have been just unlucky timing or perhaps me increasing the heat.... but while I was in the tub, the pump intermittently came on / off, then died. Smelt electrical and quickly shut off the tub.

The circuit board now has a black spot on it again....and is wrecked. This was a brand new board. The board has black marks next to P12 and above P38.

I don't know what would cause this issue to happen, without a fuse break or GFCI tripping. All seemed fine until it didn't.

I'm now tempted to upgrade the entire spa pack to the Gecko YE5 bundle, but don't want to order and install it if the same issue is going to occur.... I guess my question, is it possible the pump could have caused this issue? And therefore no sense in upgrading a spa pack without replacing/fixing the pumps?

Thanks in advance

On 10/30/2023 at 3:34 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Thoughts

Sometimes, when I can't help it.😉

Ok, from the top...

On 10/24/2023 at 6:12 PM, Tman3825 said:

then replaced the temperature switch.

Not familiar. What did you replace?

Jumper 3 was in the right spot, but not plugged in correctly.

As this effects pump/heater operation it could cause an overheat and possibly boil-out which can damage equipment and plumbing.

then tested pump one and running through a cycle low to high. It tripped the breaker. Pulling off the wiring from relay for low pump and putting back in… with one element lead off, no more tripping and pump will run.

This sounds like an overloaded circuit or faulty breaker, but could be a pump issue.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:14 PM, Tman3825 said:

the heater inside the tube, and yes you're correct that was causing the short.

"Short" meaning tripping the breaker? If this caused a breaker trip and moving it so it no longer touched the side of the heater tube made the breaker stop tripping then YOU HAVE A BAD BREAKER as well as a faulty element.

It could have been just unlucky timing or perhaps me increasing the heat.... but while I was in the tub, the pump intermittently came on / off, then died. Smelt electrical and quickly shut off the tub.

I don't believe in coincidence, but this is not what I would expect to hear next.

Usually an on-off cycle, while noticed from the pump noise, is actually a low voltage power supply problem. A bad or mis-wired pump can go into a start/run cycle that sounds like on/off until it blows a fuse or trips the thermal cutoff in the motor (which self-resets after it cools).

The circuit board now has a black spot

That burn is on a low-voltage circuit and would not cause the breaker to trip, nor be damaged by the pump or heater, however it could have been caused by an electrical issue that would trip the gfci breaker.

Actually it could, in theory, under a very unlikely set of circumstances, be damaged by a faulty heater and bad gfci with a leaking pressure switch. Maybe.

I'm now tempted to upgrade the entire spa pack to the Gecko YE5

If you're going with a new pack, I'd get a Balboa. Not a fan of gecko, in spite of Canadaguy's assertions.😉 Also get a new breaker and get that pump checked out.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:55 PM, Tman3825 said:

had been dried up prior to running.

🤨 Sure about that? Given the proximity to the pressure switch I wonder if that burn was from water on the board too. This would also account for erratic pump behavior and breaker tripping. Be honest with yourself, like it or not, was the board wet before? 

On 10/30/2023 at 3:34 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

I'm still going with the board getting wet

Yeah, I heard you'll go with anything getting wet.😉🤣

• Haha 1

You can dry out the front but if water got behind the circuit board it might stay wet longer.

7 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

in spite of Canadaguy's assertions.😉

Not seeing a lot of the new Gecko stuff and have fallen way behind on the newer Gecko Y series knowledge. Fully on board with Balboa as a replacement

• 3 weeks later...

Well. Little update here.... Turns out I got a faulty board. The board is no longer replaceable either, so I've received a full refund and now have purchased a Gecko Ye-5 bundle to install. Let's see how this spa pack goes, and if anyone has any tips / insights for this pack, please let me know.

• 3 months later...