2002 Sundance Caprio - main motor won’t run without help

DinoEck

Hi gang,  

My main filtration pump stopped working a few days ago. It just hums but won’t rotate and eventually triggers the thermal protection and clicks off until it cools. 

Given the age of the spa and pump, I assumed the pump was shot. So I tried rotating it by hand using the slot on the dry end of the shaft. The pump turned freely….  Thus I suspected the starter capacitor, so tried rotating the shaft while I applied power. Didn’t work. 

As a last ditch effort I put my cordless drill on that shaft and after a few seconds of spinning the pump “caught” and worked as normal. I ran it on high speed for about an hour. 

However, the problem still exists. Would you waste time with the starter cap or just replace the whole thing?  Or try something else?

THANKS!

I would try a capacitor, but I probably have one laying around.

If it started by hand I'd say cap, but if it needed high rpm (screwgun) to run it suggests a start switch or coil problem. The switch is no big deal, but the coil is not worth repairing.

I'd say some further digging is in order. Or just get a new one if that's the best option for you.

Yeah, that’s what I figured. When I’ve encountered starter cap problems on an AC condenser, just a mild poke would get it spinning. This took more effort. 

On the other hand, a replacement capacitor is about $25 and the motor is $250 (minimum) so perhaps baby steps. I could get lucky…

Tell me about the start switch - where is it typically located and how do you test it?

Thanks for the help! 

23 hours ago, DinoEck said:

I could get lucky…

It happens.

23 hours ago, DinoEck said:

start switch - where is it typically located and how do you test it?

It's generally behind the rear motor cover. It is an armature switch, sometimes singular others a wishbone, actuated by a centrifugal switch (throw-out) on the motor shaft. Usually a failure is a bad point (contact) in the mechanism, but I have seen bent armatures, debris blocking the mechanism, and stuck centrifugal switches as well.