Watchdog error/Sundance/Flow Valve extremely hot

TEMPOLEFTY

I have been trying to solve a watchdog error on my Sundance Chelsea 780 series spa. The last time it happened following start up I noticed that the flow valve was extremely hot (150 f). Determined with a digital heat sensor (gun). The water was only 96 f. I'm assuming that the temp of the flow valve is what caused the watchdog error. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

****Started up today and everything seemed normal (this has been the case). Ran through start up without a problem; responded to changing temp. setting and the heater going on and off. Circ. pump was running and flow valve was open. All temp checks appeared normal. !0-15 minutes later there was a --- error and smoke was coming from behind the control panel (heater). The temp of the flow valve was now 150 f******

• TEMPOLEFTY changed the title to Watchdog error/Sundance/Flow Valve extremely hot

On 9/25/2023 at 5:32 PM, TEMPOLEFTY said:

Circ. pump was running and flow valve was open.

Was the toggle inside the clear flow switch up against the post and touching it? 

It sounds like the circ is Not running and the flow switch might be in a stuck "ON" position. The flow switch protects the heater from firing if there is no flow of water. If no flow and the flow switch is stuck in the on position it will boil the water in the tube and go nuclear in a split second. Suggest disconnecting the heater from the board and use a multi meter to test when it is on or off so you don't burn the house down. 

Upon start up the flow switch was up against the post and touching (I'm assuming this is the "ON" position that allows flow through the valve). Once temp. setting was reached, the red light up top went out. I could see the circ. pump running and I thought that this was confirmed by the position of the flow valve. Is it possible that even though I see the circ. pump spinning that it is not pushing water through the heater-flow valve? I will disconnect the heater. Not sure of the procedure to test the heater when disconnected; could you please supply additional information regarding that process?

-Thanks

21 hours ago, TEMPOLEFTY said:

Not sure of the procedure to test the heater when disconnected;

Use a multi meter and test the power coming off the board where the heater connects. 

On 9/25/2023 at 5:32 PM, TEMPOLEFTY said:

I'm assuming that the temp of the flow valve is what caused the watchdog error

Flow switch does not detect temp. 

Post photos of the circuit board and schematic on the inside cover so we can see what system you have and how it is wired.

Thanks for your patience CanadianSpaTech with helping me resolve my issue.

All testing has been done and here are the results:

Ohms: 10.5

Continuity: yes (beeps)

Voltage 247 V

Amperage: O A (I have attached a pic of how I tested for Amps, just to make sure I did it correctly)

Attached pics:

1. Testing Amperage

2. Flow switch when the spa was powered on

3. Schematic from the back of the controller cover

4. Circuit board

5. Close up of the circuit board where the power from the spa breaker comes in. I have included this due to the discrepancy I noticed with the red and black wires that come in and terminate at the heater. 

Schematic from back of cover.jpg

Spa control box (Heater disconnected).jpg

Close up of power in from spa breaker.jpg

Flow valve when spa powered on.jpg

Testing for Amperage (Power ON).jpg

Wait what!.. you have a red and black going from the incoming power directly to the circuit board where the white and black heater wires should connect to the board at bottom right??? Disconnect them now. The red wire goes to J7 and the black to J8... The white wire from the heater goes to J9 and the black goes to J10. Leave them disconnected for now and test white to black J9 to J10 for testing for 240V power coming off the board. With the circ running and the heat light LED is on on the topside you should get 240V. Then disconnect the flow switch J3 from the board and the heat LED is off... do you still get 240V?

Thank you,

Before I perform the testing you prescribed; I have a question. The red and black wires that were in the wrong place have spade connectors and will not go on J7 & J8. Can I use the 2 terminals below them that accept spade connectors (J31 & J32) or do I need to change the spade connectors to blade connectors to accommodate J7 & J8? Also, is it an issue that at TB1 a black wire comes in and a red wire comes out (top) and a red wire comes in and a black wire comes out (bottom). This can be clearly seen in the photo that is zoomed in on the circuit board (3rd photo). 

Powered up the unit this morning and I got a blinking FL1 error.

Flow switch is engaged (touching).

No red light topside. (makes sense due to FL1 error )

Voltage at J9-J10 = 0V (makes sense due to FL1 error )

Unplugged flow switch and the switch is still engaged (touching)

Pumps are both working (2 speed pump works on both settings)

Circulation pump working

Edited by TEMPOLEFTY
additional information

You can cut and bare the flow switch wire somewhere in the middle and join the 2 wires together bypassing the flow switch. If the heat light comes on then likely a bad flow switch or one that is not making good contact with the post even though it looks like it. (You can easily join the wires back to original if the switch is not the issue.)

I bypassed the flow switch and the heat light came on.

Voltage at J9-J10 = 249V

I guess my next step is to replace the flow switch.

Thank you so much for all your help, I have not been able to use the tub for over a year and finding service has been difficult. Once the new flow switch is installed I'll fire it up and see if that takes care of the FL1 error.

Replaced flow switch and powered up.

No FLO 1 error

Topside: heat light on / Voltage at J9-J10 = 247V

Disconnected flow switch: Heater light off and FLO 1 error appeared, Voltage at J9-J10 = 0V

Connected flow switch: heat light back on and FLO 1 error gone

Heater is still disconnected from J9-J10

Edited by TEMPOLEFTY
additional information

Hooked it up yesterday afternoon and the unit started fine and heated to set temp. and then the heater went off. Maintained temp overnight and no errors; looks like a winner. Thanks for all of your help during this process, I have learned a lot from the information you have provided. Is there  a way that I can send you something  to show my appreciation? 

40 minutes ago, TEMPOLEFTY said:

Is there  a way that I can send you something  to show my appreciation? 

Thanks for the offer but not necessary. Pay it forward in some small way... Food bank donation, Cup of coffee for the guy behind you in the drive thru. Enjoy