730L Heater Problems - Corrosion

Boats Bros

Hello y’all, I moved my hot tub to my back porch and now I am having issues, I believe it needs a new heater. I have a 2017 Legacy Whirlpool 730L. When turned on it trips the breaker within a few seconds. I opened it up and found this (see picture) I disconnected the connector from the board and stopped tripping the breaker, and tested all other features which seemed to work. Should I replace the entire heater or just the connector (melted a little) and the corroded parts? Any help would be appreciated! IMG_6853.thumb.jpeg.ba13bfebf3b809fc577fcec95e9f4049.jpeg

IMG_6851.jpeg

IMG_6852.jpeg

IMG_6857.jpeg

Only replace the element inside. it will cost around 50$ for the piece.

When you change it, be carefull about the little 2 new o-ring on the new, also clear as much you can when you remove the old element, its okay if a little bit of orange left. The oring are inside and they are what matter the most. (Tight the 2 nuts very tight)

• Like 2

Remove the heater tube as shown above. Remove the sensor on the left side. Back off the black nut and just push the sensor up with your finger.  Back off the 2- 3/4 nuts and the element will drop down inside the tube. Pull the element out (needle nose pliers might help) and then work backwards to reinstall the element. As mentioned above make sure the 2 o-rings remain seated in the grooves as you position the element back up into place.

When tightening the element I will place my finger in the right side of the tube and VERY IMPORTANT hold it centered in the tube so it does not touch the side wall of the tube. I tighten the left 3/4" nut first and then the right side. I look down the tube to make sure it is not touching and centered in the tube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CanadianSpaTech @Sevensphere I got the new element in and turned on the breaker and it did not trip after a few seconds, so that’s an improvement! I’m filling it with new water and then I will be testing it out. I followed y'all's advice and made sure the element was not touching the tube when installing. It’ll be nice during the Texas winter! 
Here’s a couple pics of what I went through to get it in the back porch.

Follow up question, it is telling me to Run Pumps Purge Air. Does simply running the pumps purge the air? Is that what it’s telling me to do?

IMG_6826.jpeg

71406269651__017022D4-E7D9-4E3E-B618-5F748DF0AD8B.jpeg

71416655274__F946BCF4-76C5-44CB-9E9B-BFFC9C9E5F66.jpeg

IMG_6905.png

IMG_6904.png

On 8/24/2023 at 7:37 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Looking at the soot inside the pack I'm pulling the board and looking on the back for burnt out relays before going any further. Might just be from the fried heater element but I'm checking. Let us know results.

Is the heater wires connected to the board? (it happens)

Test J100 tab to J101 tab (just below where the heater connects to the board) When heat indicator led is lit do you get 240V? If no see above.

f2 3A 250V fuse might be for the light. Do the lights work?

7 hours ago, Boats Bros said:

a little melted though, I’ll probably want to replace it anyways.

Not a fan of the quick connect Balboa uses. You could cut the connector off the wire and attach quality female spade connectors and connect to the male tabs on the board at J100 and J101

It won't always show a clear sign that a relay has failed. Based on your description I'm sending the board out for repair. I normally have my guy replace all the heater related relays to freshen up the board. You have correct power into the board and the topside is telling it to heat but no power out to the heater connections then I'm saying it's a failed heater relay. Did you replace the F2 fuse?

Do you have a contact for someone who repairs these board for you? I did replace the F2 fuse while I had the board out, I put the board back in and still no power to the heater. So back to square one. 

Are these the relays circled in the picture? While I don’t like throwing parts at something, it might be worth a shot at this point.  

IMG_6932.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...