Sealant or Gasket Around Jets

Hi All,

This is a 2009 Thermospa. I've started to notice some white objects floating in the water particularly after running the jets. I believe it is coming from around the jets and appears to be either a sealant or a gasket coming apart. If I run my finger around the jets some of this comes off.

The jets are sealed from the inside with a good amount of clear sealant, and so far I don't see any evidence of leaking.  Is this a gasket or white sealant?  Should a take action and apply a layer of sealant over this while the tub is empty?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

IMG_3217 (1).jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

They are gaskets. You can band-aid them with a skin of clear silicone caulk but you'll want to remove the jet internals so you don't caulk them in place. It's good for a year or 3 depending on chemistry.

Replacing them isn't bad on a thermospa since they have little to no insulation to dig out, but I'd wait until they were leaking.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

@RDspaguy can you advise on how to get the 'jet internals' out?  On some I can pry the cover off, but it seems like there should be a safer way to not break the small clips inside.  Some of mine won't move much at all.  Thoughts?

Also, what clear silicon sealant do you use?  There are so many brands with different profiles I'd love a recommendation.

Thanks,

Rob

Every jet I've seen either unscrews, turns to unclip, or has inside clips. I don't recommend prying, but if you do make sure you lift opposite side simultaneously to avoid breaking the face.

Materials deteriorate over time and it can be nearly impossible to remove them without breaking some on older tubs. If parts aren't available anymore then you're doing some plumbing. I junked a flip tub recently for that exact reason.

• Thanks 1