New Hot Tub Buyer Looking For Recomendation

eagle1

I am in the market for my first hot tub. I have visited several retail stores, but the price for even the basic units oare higher than my budget. I have $5000.00 to spend on everything and AI want a good quality unit. I found a discount spa site that sells Sonoma Spas, specifically the Harmony for $5300.00 with all the bells and whistles. Can anyone make any suggestions or steer me in the right direction? thanks

Good luck getting help. I have a budget of $4000 and haven't really gotten any advice from the members here. After reading many of the threads, I think our only option is the Walmart specials. Everyone here seems to think that you either have to spend upwards of $8000 or go with the cheap ones at the jumbo mart. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.

Good luck getting help. I have a budget of $4000 and haven't really gotten any advice from the members here. After reading many of the threads, I think our only option is the Walmart specials. Everyone here seems to think that you either have to spend upwards of $8000 or go with the cheap ones at the jumbo mart. There doesn't seem to be an in-between.

Thanks for the input. the biggest problem that Ihave is that I cannot distinguish the quality differences between a $8000 Sundance Tub and a Sonoma Harmony $5300.00 tub. What should I be looking for? What are the most important features that distinguish a good tub from a piece of garbage.

read some thread about Nordic and particularly those that own them. most are happy and you can buy them 4000.00 or less.

The reality is, that for $5000 complete there isn't anythign out there on a quality level. Folks are hesitant to recomend a low end spa.

You can get into a 2 person Hotsprings TX for that price, and Nordic may have some low end tubs that come cin around thier, (but you really aren't getting much for your money).

My advice is to wait until you can afford a bit more. If you absolutley must have a hot tub now and have to have it no more than $5K, then "hello Coscto. " But if you consider this is something you are buying that will hopefully be around for many years and provide hours of relaxation, it might be worht it to you in the long run to wait and save a bit more, and get what you really want.

Jaquizzi has some entry level tubs, Nordic, and Hotsprings has several lines as well. My local caldera dealer had a nice entry level tub for $5.5K

Have you spoken to any dealers and looked at what you mihgt be able to get into?

Well here's my advice, you may not agree but it's just my opinion.

Put the $4000 you currently have budgeted aside in an account and add $200/month into that account. Come back in 12 to 15 months and you'll have enough to get a much better spa. Keep in mind that if you did buy the Walmart spa now your monthly cost for chems and power would go up probably about $100/month (poorly insulated spas are energy hogs) so that would be half of the $200/month right there alone. In the long run you'd be much happier IMO.

The reality is, that for $5000 complete there isn't anythign out there on a quality level. Folks are hesitant to recomend a low end spa.

You can get into a 2 person Hotsprings TX for that price, and Nordic may have some low end tubs that come cin around thier, (but you really aren't getting much for your money).

My advice is to wait until you can afford a bit more. If you absolutley must have a hot tub now and have to have it no more than $5K, then "hello Coscto. " But if you consider this is something you are buying that will hopefully be around for many years and provide hours of relaxation, it might be worht it to you in the long run to wait and save a bit more, and get what you really want.

Jaquizzi has some entry level tubs, Nordic, and Hotsprings has several lines as well. My local caldera dealer had a nice entry level tub for $5.5K

Have you spoken to any dealers and looked at what you mihgt be able to get into?

I know that I should never believe everything that I am told, but I was told that Sonoma Spas makes one of the best quality units in the country. They are inspected by the US Govt. and use the same material that is used in Army Hummers in thier acrylic shell. The problem is that there is no mention of Sonoma Spas in any consumer reports studies. I really don't want to go to Costco, although I have a friend that has had a Costco spa for about 7 years now with no trouble.

I know that I should never believe everything that I am told, but I was told that Sonoma Spas makes one of the best quality units in the country. They are inspected by the US Govt. and use the same material that is used in Army Hummers in thier acrylic shell.

1) I don't even know Sonoma spas so I have no opinion of them (there are a lot of regional spa makers) but if the sales guy told you that he has one of the best spas made I'm sure he'd also say that his daughter is the most beautiful child in her school. Maybe true, maybe not.

2) Inspected by the Gov't? There may be some half-truth hidden in there somewhere but otherwise that one seems comical.

3) So their shell use the same material that is used somewhere on a Hummer. So do other shells. You should conclude nothing from that. Heck, maybe the space shuttle has a part that uses some of that same material too. Whatever.

Sometimes you need to filter out the salesmanship from what you're being told.

you know, if you are in a cold weather area, the costs of heating a low end spa ($75 a month) might be more than taking out a loan for 2 grand more and buying a quality hot tub that will outlast, outperform and be a lot more enjoyable to own than a 5K budget spa that will more than likely not last more than 5 years.

The Sonoma guy is just feeding you lines of BS. Stick with a major brand that doesn't bad mouth the competitition and/or make up lies.

I mean, the material in my spa is the same material used abord the Space shuttle. What does that really mean? Nothing!!!!!

Please check out Caldera, and hotsprings and have an honest discussion with a dealer you feel comfortable with. push the numbers around. Look around (don't buy anthing then and there, go home and really think about it). You might be able to get into a Smaller tub, or after WET TESTING decide that a few months more of waiting will make ALL the difference in the world.

Good luck.

oh yea, don't forget to have fun and enjoy the process.

I'm shopping for a spa around that price range as well. It might be helpful if you can list what brands you have found in your area. There are a four companies in my metro area (Grand Rapids, MI) that manufacture hot tubs in that price range: Viking, Nordic, Emerald and Great Lakes (recently acquired by Emerald).

What's unfortunate is that I'm having to eliminate some of those brand not due to the brand reputation or based on their features/values, but rather my experiences with the dealer.

Anyways, I have not wet tested any yet, so I can't help much with recommendations yet. From my research until now, it seems like Nordic and Emerald have solid reputations. I've read more mixed reviews about GL and Viking.

For Nordic, you can probably get any of their round tubs and also their Escape (and possibly Escape Premium as well) rectangular tub for under $5k.

For Emerald Spas, you can look at their Villa and Chateau series. It's pretty interesting with them, because the Villa and Chateau don't seem that much of a downgrade from the more expensive Estate and Manor series.

Great Lakes - up to their four person (and possibly five person) tub in your price range

As for Viking, I forget the specifics because I ruled them out pretty early in the process, but I know they have a number of models below $5k.

Also, I did finally decide to open up my budget and go higher if necessary, and this is only because my experiences with the Hot Spring dealer have been very positive. For example, some of the other dealers I asked would not arrange for me to wet test the exact model I was interested in, only dry test. If they expect me to base my purchase on wet testing their most expensive models, they are dreaming. The Hot Spring dealer just asked for me to give him a couple of days notice and he would set it up. Unfortunately, the Hot Spring tub I am looking at, the Sovereign, would be $6200 and that's last year's model.

Finally, I will give some props to Nordic. The person I've been working with, Jeff, who also has posted on this forum before, has been helpful and gave me a tour of their factory. I haven't yet asked to wet test their Escape or Escape Premium, but I will be in the near future.

.... Unfortunately, the Hot Spring tub I am looking at, the Sovereign, would be $6200 and that's last year's model.

Finally, I will give some props to Nordic. The person I've been working with, Jeff, who also has posted on this forum before, has been helpful and gave me a tour of their factory. I haven't yet asked to wet test their Escape or Escape Premium, but I will be in the near future.

I had a nordic. It was horrible in the winter. (I did not have the Full Foam upgrade though). The Soverign for $6200 is a good deal, if you could swing it. (And is a good example of my cost savings for electricity example I mentioned in a previous post. you'll spend less money operating the Hotsprings, have a better tub that will last a lot longer the Nordic.

don't get me wrong, Nordic is ok...but it's still a lower end tub and tht will be reflected in quality, features, size, and longevity.

What ever tub you decide on, WET TEST it before you buy it, and wet test some other tubs, just so you can compare it to something.

What's unfortunate is that I'm having to eliminate some of those brand not due to the brand reputation or based on their features/values, but rather my experiences with the dealer.

Unfortunate for sure but also very wise!!! What you buy is key obviously but who you buy from can be very important as well (or sometimes, who you avoid).

Unfortunate for sure but also very wise!!! What you buy is key obviously but who you buy from can be very important as well (or sometimes, who you avoid).

There is one thing that I'm curious about.. I had an experience at Watsons (selling Viking, Cal Spas and Caldera) where the salesperson was pretty helpful and offered me a pretty good deal. Then I had a question that he couldn't answer so the store manager came into play. One of the first questions the store manager asked the sales person was "Where are you at?" and when the salesperson relayed the offer he had given me, the store manager didn't look very happy with the salesperson basically justifying the low offer to him. Is this all an act, like a good cop/bad cop routine that you sometimes run into at a car dealership? The salesperson seemed pretty genuine, but the manager was annoying and then basically tried to take over dealing with me.

I had a nordic. It was horrible in the winter.

[...]

don't get me wrong, Nordic is ok...but it's still a lower end tub and tht will be reflected in quality, features, size, and longevity.

I'm surprised that you even say that Nordic is OK given the very negative experience you posted on this board with the used Nordic tub that you acquired.

I'm surprised that you even say that Nordic is OK given the very negative experience you posted on this board with the used Nordic tub that you acquired.

Nordic as a high tub? No.

Nordic as a low end tub? Better than others.

I ment Ok in relation to it's price, and discussions with Nordic folks about changes in the tub. If it's going to be compared to a higher end tub, I'll point to those deficianciances. And I've been told that the full foam option does make a differemce.

However, If a buyer says I can buy and ebay tub, a coscto tub or a Nordic, I will point them to a Nordic tub that has a dealer and service.

I hope that helps you understand my position? I was trying to be as diplomatic as possible, not confuse anyone.

Nordic as a high tub? No.

Nordic as a low end tub? Better than others.

I ment Ok in relation to it's price, and discussions with Nordic folks about changes in the tub. If it's going to be compared to a higher end tub, I'll point to those deficianciances. However, If a buyer says I can buy and ebay tub, a coscto tub or a Nordic, I will point them to a Nordic tub that has a dealer and service.

I hope that helps you understand my position?

Trigger,

help me out here, wasn't it you who was given a second hand spa, (Nordic). IMO I am not sure if that's a fair way to judge a tub, particularly since today's Nordics are built different.

Trigger,

help me out here, wasn't it you who was given a second hand spa, (Nordic). IMO I am not sure if that's a fair way to judge a tub, particularly since today's Nordics are built different.

Fair? I don't know. I'm not a dealer, I'm not trying to sell one tub or another. I am simply trying to relate my expereinces with several hot tubs. I belive I always state that the nordic was an older, used tub. If I forget forgive me, and feel free to jump in.

But I owned a lower end, low feature Nordic tub, and having it in the North East, without the full foam option cost me a fortune to operate. I had problems also with the sub floor.

What's wrong with posting that? That's not fair? How so?

If nordic or a salesperson wants to jump in and tell us how they have improved Nordic, that's fine. But that's not my responsibilty.

I was being MORE than fair by claiming they were "ok" (as I'd rather see someone buy something with dealer support than not and if they are in a cold weather area, check into the full foamed option). I owned and used a Nordic tub.

But I think the thrust of my post was you can get alot more tub for a little bit more money. But if you gotta go cheap then stick with a local dealer and a brand name.

I guess I can't please everyone.

But then again, I'm not trying to. :)

Thanks for the clarification. For me, it's difficult to know what to expect in terms of energy usage. One review I read about the Nordic Warrior estimated energy usage of $20/month used daily in the winter in Maryland, for instance. And from what I can tell, all she added as a thermal blanket. And my hot tub will be in a three season room, protected from the elements.

And there's still other brands/lines of course. Emerald, Tiger River, Great Lakes, Viking.. how do you really know how much the relative electric usage is going to be for each of those with a paltry few testimonials and each person in a different environment.

Thanks for the clarification. For me, it's difficult to know what to expect in terms of energy usage. One review I read about the Nordic Warrior estimated energy usage of $20/month used daily in the winter in Maryland, for instance. And from what I can tell, all she added as a thermal blanket. And my hot tub will be in a three season room, protected from the elements.

And there's still other brands/lines of course. Emerald, Tiger River, Great Lakes, Viking.. how do you really know how much the relative electric usage is going to be for each of those with a paltry few testimonials and each person in a different environment.

Nordic has the full foam option, so you might want to look into that. Was the Maryland tub foamed? Energy costs can fluctuate widely given thespecific weather, and how the tub was used. If energy efficeently is an important issue with you then I would strongly recomoned going with a higher end tub. If youre in Miami, then it's a different requirement.

Nordic has the full foam option, so you might want to look into that. Was the Maryland tub foamed? Energy costs can fluctuate widely given thespecific weather, and how the tub was used. If energy efficeently is an important issue with you then I would strongly recomoned going with a higher end tub. If youre in Miami, then it's a different requirement.

Trigger

I think you are over reacting to my post, If I shared an example of a Watkins spa that was given to me and spoke about heater fires that would no way apply to today's Watkins product (they did an outstanding job of handling that by the way) would that make a whole lot of sense since the that issue has been corrected. You mention the sub-floor they now use a floor that is much more like a truck bed liner and will pretty much last forever (see Al Gore :P ) but to over reacting I am not saying you are being unfair I am just pointing out that to judge a product line based on a second hand product that is now if I am correct about 8 years old I am just not sure how much accurate information is to be gained. If the product had not changed than perhaps it would apply but the model you were given has long been since discontinued for several years now. No hard feelings I am just stating my opinion.

I think they said that it would be indoors and that really will make all the difference, In speaking to Nordic they have told me that they feel adding the extra foam is a waste, from the way they are foamed standard, that the additional foam really offers little added r value that, in- in house testing it did not make much of a difference.

I am not saying you are being unfair

Um....You kind of gave me that impression when you said my post wasn't fair.

I don't know what else to tell you, other than I'm not overreacting, just answering your questions and trying ensure my posts make sense. I don't want to confuse the issue.

But folks are trying to understand the difference between and 8K spa and 4K spa.

For me, based on my expereinces the big issues were features, and costs to run.

If folks need clairification, that's fine. If folks want to discuss how the tubs have improved that's fine with me too.

have a good night. :)

There is one thing that I'm curious about.. I had an experience at Watsons (selling Viking, Cal Spas and Caldera) where the salesperson was pretty helpful and offered me a pretty good deal. Then I had a question that he couldn't answer so the store manager came into play. One of the first questions the store manager asked the sales person was "Where are you at?" and when the salesperson relayed the offer he had given me, the store manager didn't look very happy with the salesperson basically justifying the low offer to him. Is this all an act, like a good cop/bad cop routine that you sometimes run into at a car dealership? The salesperson seemed pretty genuine, but the manager was annoying and then basically tried to take over dealing with me.

Tough to say for sure. I doubt you were given a price lower than acceptable to teh manager. Maybe the salesperson just jumped right to a real sale price rather than giving you a starting number that you'd have to haggle from.

This explains why our boys in green don't have all the Hummers they need over there they are using the meterial to build spa with? One thing I feel a lot of people who have tight budgets that they over look the cost of installing the spa and run power to it. these can be costly if you don't have them already. yes, some tubs run on a 110v but most don't and the 110v will run a lot better on a 240v line. Plus the cost of chem. a month and if spa not well insulated you will have much higher elec. bill every month.

Thanks

Bill

Trigger,

I do not want to beat this to death but if you read what I posted it was that " I am not sure thats a fair way to judge" IMO....I guess you can read as me saying you are not fair but that was not my intent.

Me neither Stallion. You represent Nordic, right? This would be a great oppurnity for you to explain what changes have been made by Nordic and why someone might consider them and where they are positioned in the market.

:)