New Spa Owner Feedback

I Need a Spa

About a month ago we bought a Sundance Bahia, based on preference and what some you had to say about the brand, options and so forth. Here's some feedback for people shopping for a hot tub.

What we like about the 2005 Sundance Bahia:

-Good size and shape for a family, not too small

-Easy to move from one seat to the next

-Seems to be of good quality, no issues with performance

-Price $5600, good bang for the buck

What we'll get on our next tub:

-1 pump is 2 speed, the other only has 1 (high) speed. I'd rather both pumps were 2 speed.

-No air pump. It would be nice to have just air at times without water pumps being on.

-I'm adding an ozonator to this tub, can't hurt.

-Lighted keys on the controller. It's hard to see where the buttons are at night.

-Deeper. I'm 6'1" and only 1 seat is really deep enough to sit with water up to my neck. (selfish request)

Other observations

Electrical connection - Opted for GFI in the main panel and disconnect outside, rather than a "Hot tub" disconnect. The HT disconnect has a GFI breaker and the disconnect swith in one unit. It's in a nema 3r rainproof box, which is fine if it is somewhat protected. Blowing rain can penetrate the box and cause nuisannce tripping. My cost was $1k for the hook up, more than I expected. The other option is cheaper. Home Depot sells a 50amp hot tub disconnect but not the 60amp (in my area). Buy it yourself if you can. Get a quote for the electrical work first.

Chlorine and Bromine (dichlor) are working pretty good. I got in the second week with the water a little cloudy. Don't do that!!! I got a rash. Chemicals are your friend. No problems since. Dichlor after every use (1 Tbsp) and Chlorine every 2 days (2 Tbsp) seems to be maintaining the levels correctly. I also shock with Clorine every week (6 Tbsp). I try to do this late at night so it can sit for at least a day. I think is different for every tub so you'll have to find your own pattern.

We added SpaZaz. Don't do that. The smell lasts for about 1 day and the tub gets foamy. It does soften the water though, which was nice. You can get the foam out with your hands and that seems to help. Hope it isn't messing up my deck.

Hope this helps somebody.

About a month ago we bought a Sundance Bahia, based on preference and what some you had to say about the brand, options and so forth. Here's some feedback for people shopping for a hot tub.

What we like about the 2005 Sundance Bahia:

-Good size and shape for a family, not too small

-Easy to move from one seat to the next

-Seems to be of good quality, no issues with performance

-Price $5600, good bang for the buck

What we'll get on our next tub:

-1 pump is 2 speed, the other only has 1 (high) speed. I'd rather both pumps were 2 speed.

-No air pump. It would be nice to have just air at times without water pumps being on.

-I'm adding an ozonator to this tub, can't hurt.

-Lighted keys on the controller. It's hard to see where the buttons are at night.

-Deeper. I'm 6'1" and only 1 seat is really deep enough to sit with water up to my neck. (selfish request)

Other observations

Electrical connection - Opted for GFI in the main panel and disconnect outside, rather than a "Hot tub" disconnect. The HT disconnect has a GFI breaker and the disconnect swith in one unit. It's in a nema 3r rainproof box, which is fine if it is somewhat protected. Blowing rain can penetrate the box and cause nuisannce tripping. My cost was $1k for the hook up, more than I expected. The other option is cheaper. Home Depot sells a 50amp hot tub disconnect but not the 60amp (in my area). Buy it yourself if you can. Get a quote for the electrical work first.

Chlorine and Bromine (dichlor) are working pretty good. I got in the second week with the water a little cloudy. Don't do that!!! I got a rash. Chemicals are your friend. No problems since. Dichlor after every use (1 Tbsp) and Chlorine every 2 days (2 Tbsp) seems to be maintaining the levels correctly. I also shock with Clorine every week (6 Tbsp). I try to do this late at night so it can sit for at least a day. I think is different for every tub so you'll have to find your own pattern.

We added SpaZaz. Don't do that. The smell lasts for about 1 day and the tub gets foamy. It does soften the water though, which was nice. You can get the foam out with your hands and that seems to help. Hope it isn't messing up my deck.

Hope this helps somebody.

Good observations, very encouraging.

Good idea, here's my 2 cents on my tub:

Bought Arctic Spa Cub Designer Model, cover lifter, versa rail, stairs, upgrade cover (thicker), cedar bar (runs lenght of one side of tub) with 2 cedar stools, chemicals, Spare filter, delivery and partial set-up (exception of electrical done by licensed electrician) all included (I know some of these things are considered "standard", but just listing what i got), few other small things (Rubber duckies :) )

Price: $9200 Cdn (including all taxes)

What we like about it: Wife loves the therapy seat, i prefer the lounger but slide over to the one deeper seat when the wind picks up. The jets are a generous size (nice and large) with great massage action, diverter can put all power in the therapy seat if wanted. The therapy air feature is very nice bubbling effect, and the aromatherapy feature that puts the scents through the therapy air (theres a cap that can be unscrewed and scent packets or a felt pad with oil can be placed in) is a very nice option to adding scents directly to the water. Perfect size tub for our family or for entertaining a few guests. One very large light on side with steps along with a smaller light on other side of tub.

Local Dealer provides us with great service, answers all questions and are very friendly and knowledgeable, making great recommendations.

What we would change: Addition of a few more jets in the lounger as well as the one deeper seat in the tub. The therapy seat could stand to be a little deeper for my liking, but fits my wife perfectly, and is her favorite seat anyways. The sides of this tub could stand to be a little higher to help keep the wind off in the winter, but i don't think it would make that much of a difference if you are on the opposite side of the wind.

We are using a bromine floater, shocking once to twice per week depending on usage (have been out of tub for about a week due to back problems, chiropractor recommended cold for inflammed discs . . . sigh). Initially, bromine levels were low, but added tablet into the filter basket and opened floater a bit more, they are now optimal. I do find with bromine my TA does seem to drop a little low often, but is easy to fix by adding sodium bicarbonate to bring back up once a week (can't remember the exact name of chemical they gave me, but it raises TA, not just alk. so i'm assuming it is bicarbonate and not sodium carbonate). Water is tested a minimum of 5 times a week for now, just while i learn the ropes anyways (Test a few hours after shocking each time, as well as a few times throughout the week to make sure everything is withing normal levels, and after adding TA increase).

Overall: I have had no problems with this tub or the service from the dealer and am very happy with my purchase. The dealer also offers free filter cleaning and water testing once a month (as do most as i understand, but it's nice) for as long as the tub is in use (by myself, or anyone should i sell the house with my tub . . . not likely though, tub goes with me). My wife and I get some good relaxation time when the kids are asleep, and my oldest daughter (2) benifits greatly from the therapy of warmer water (not too warm, about 101F) for her C.P.

This is definitely a tub i would recommend as a possibility to friends and family, with a great dealer to back it up.

SUggestions for hook-up, depending on how handy you are:

1. I'm NOT suggesting you do it completely by yourself. As I said, I'm pretty handy and I've installed wiring, but there's just something about 220 volts and water......

2. Try to find a local electrician who will work with you and do the final connections. I did this, the electrician's time was only 30 minutes as I ran the cables, he make a quick look, then did the final connections.

My total cost for hook-up was under $300.

BTW, this was aboutr 6 months ago, so I guess I'm still a novice owner.

What would I recommend to someone looking for a spa?

- multiple 2-speed pumps

- built-in ozonator

- seating and jets THAT YOU LIKE!

- lighted key-pad (although I wish mine was BRIGHTER)

- a good cover lifter (I got a cover valet - GREAT)

Just a note on what i did with my electrical. Instead of using the outdoor GFCI, i ended up (on the advice of my electrician) putting a GFCI breaker inside my house in my breaker box (he didn't like the idea of using breakers outdoors, no matter what kind of waterproof box, since it was a relative who installed several tubs, pools, etc i respected this opinion). Dug a trench 2.5' deep as per by-law codes for burying cable, needed about 45 feet of 8-3 tech cable. Installed an outdoor disconnect as well (required by law, and by almost anyone who will repair the spa if needed). Total time took me about 2 hours, along with my electrician (trench was dug by myself and 2 friends the day before in about 1/2 hour). We had to move a few of the breakers around (easily done) to fit the GFCI in my box. Total cost was about $360 Cdn for parts (breaker, outdoor disconnect, tech cable).

Just a note on what i did with my electrical. Instead of using the outdoor GFCI, i ended up (on the advice of my electrician) putting a GFCI breaker inside my house in my breaker box (he didn't like the idea of using breakers outdoors, no matter what kind of waterproof box, since it was a relative who installed several tubs, pools, etc i respected this opinion). Dug a trench 2.5' deep as per by-law codes for burying cable, needed about 45 feet of 8-3 tech cable. Installed an outdoor disconnect as well (required by law, and by almost anyone who will repair the spa if needed). Total time took me about 2 hours, along with my electrician (trench was dug by myself and 2 friends the day before in about 1/2 hour). We had to move a few of the breakers around (easily done) to fit the GFCI in my box. Total cost was about $360 Cdn for parts (breaker, outdoor disconnect, tech cable).

Kahuna - I read my post and the part about the gfci may be a bit confusing. My main panel is in my garage, and that's where I put the gfci, same as you. I feel much better with it there rather than outside.

-One more thing on the electrical; you may as well put in a 110 gfci at the same time and pull the wire with your 220. It's just a little bit more labor and you'll be able to add some outdoor recepticles whever you want. I used mine for the low voltage lighting transformer and it's also perfect for the Christmas lights I'm running around the deck rail! I put in a 20amp 110v gfci rather than a 15amp.

-We're using the Sundance version of the Nature 2 system. I can't tell if it's doing anythnig or not.

-I got a quote from our Sundance dealer to add the Sundance ozonator for $250 total cost. I'm leaning towards doing it myself with the Del ozone Platinum $155. (Check e-bay and you'll find it.) I need to get the cover off and see what it looks like first. Also, need to check to see if that voids my warranty.

Hey By the Way - Merry Christmas all. I'll be hitting the hot tub after the santa duties are complete on Christmas Eve, hope it snows.

Kahuna - I read my post and the part about the gfci may be a bit confusing. My main panel is in my garage, and that's where I put the gfci, same as you. I feel much better with it there rather than outside.

-One more thing on the electrical; you may as well put in a 110 gfci at the same time and pull the wire with your 220. It's just a little bit more labor and you'll be able to add some outdoor recepticles whever you want. I used mine for the low voltage lighting transformer and it's also perfect for the Christmas lights I'm running around the deck rail! I put in a 20amp 110v gfci rather than a 15amp.

-We're using the Sundance version of the Nature 2 system. I can't tell if it's doing anythnig or not.

-I got a quote from our Sundance dealer to add the Sundance ozonator for $250 total cost. I'm leaning towards doing it myself with the Del ozone Platinum $155. (Check e-bay and you'll find it.) I need to get the cover off and see what it looks like first. Also, need to check to see if that voids my warranty.

Hey By the Way - Merry Christmas all. I'll be hitting the hot tub after the santa duties are complete on Christmas Eve, hope it snows.

Check with your local electrical inspector, some areas require that the disconnect be located a certain distance from the spa and not more than so far, and some require they be within line of sight. Our area requirements are at least 5 feet from the tub and not more than 15 feet in line of sight, meaning it cant be around the corner or on the back side of a post or fence or in the garage. B)

Check with your local electrical inspector, some areas require that the disconnect be located a certain distance from the spa and not more than so far, and some require they be within line of sight. Our area requirements are at least 5 feet from the tub and not more than 15 feet in line of sight, meaning it cant be around the corner or on the back side of a post or fence or in the garage. B)

Absolutely right Hot, our by-law states that there must be an outdoor disconnect that is a minimum of 10 feet from the tub, but accessible to the tub user (there is no statement about maximum distance or line of sight, although it's always smart to put it somewhere that anyone using the tub can see it "just in case").