Is this Frog easy smartchlor cartridge type system a money grab or?

DYNA962007

3 hours ago, JustALearnin said:

Through some of the information provided here I was able to find out that 2000 Flushes Bleach(not the blue version) is the same actual chemical make up as these SmartChlor Cartridges

No, It's almost identical to Dantochlor which does NOT match up with the SDS for SmartChlor.which only contains 1,3-dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin and 1,3-dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylimidazolidine-2,4-dione

7 hours ago, waterbear said:

No, It's almost identical to Dantochlor which does NOT match up with the SDS for SmartChlor.which only contains 1,3-dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin and 1,3-dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylimidazolidine-2,

I posted a correction shortly after my original post...

Slight correction  here is the list of ingredients... 1.8% different... possibly.  They may just not be listing that 1.8% like the tablets do.

2000 FLushes Bleach Tablet (not the blue one):

Bleach Tablet
1,3-Dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin 118-52-5 81.1%
1,3-Dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin 89415-87-2 16.1%
Chloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin Not assigned 1.8%
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 1.0%

I just looked up that Chloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin on Haz-Map.com and from the uses - 

Sources/Uses
Halohydantoins: Used as disinfectants in swimming pools, hot tubs, toilet bowls, and industrial systems (cooling water, pulp and paper, wastewater, and sewage); Also used as slimicide for paper/paperboard for food contact; [Reference #1]

So it looks like the only thing not accounted for is that 1% which is Non-Hazardous.

Does anyone think this wouldn't work?

You are on your own with this one. Bottom line, Frog @ease is a proprietary system with it's own quirks, which require the use of their test strips. While it works well for some it is expensive. Modity the system at your own risk or stick ot approved methods such as 3 step bromine or dichlor/bleach.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will say this once, the Frog@ease is a proprietary system so if you think it is too expensive stop using in and use a different sanitizer system. Substituting a toilet bowl cleaner for part of the system could be potentially dangerous and if the tub is on a rental property you are potentially opening up yourself to a lawsuit if someone has an adverse reaction.

• Like 1