Motomassager Collapsed Tube?? all new parts..need advice pls

Al-B

My Hotsprings Moto-massager (MM) stopped working. I replaced the blue rubber tubes in the splines, it moves freely but not on its own.
Plenty of water and air coming out the MM heads but the center tube (also replaced) that goes to the white collar between the twin heads, is collapsed when the jets are on?

Its not the filters, I removed all of them in case they were the restriction, tube is still collapsed when MM is on.

I read somewhere, that there may be a clog in one of the valves that could cause this.

Any advice on how I can trouble shoot this next?

On 10/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, Al-B said:

My Hotsprings Moto-massager (MM) stopped working. I replaced the blue rubber tubes in the splines, it moves freely but not on its own.
Plenty of water and air coming out the MM heads but the center tube (also replaced) that goes to the white collar between the twin heads, is collapsed when the jets are on?

So you tried to fix the existing motomassager jets by opening the splines and replacing the inner tubing?  That could be your problem - some people are lucky and cut everything the exact length and get things sealed up correctly for things to work properly - but DIY fixes don't always last long or work effectively as OEM replacements.   

On 10/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, Al-B said:

I read somewhere, that there may be a clog in one of the valves that could cause this.

Any advice on how I can trouble shoot this next?

You mention air and water coming out of the jet heads but it's not moving.   That indicates to me air is leaking out somewhere and preventing adequate pressure for it to move.

The Motomassager jets are a consumable product - they were intended to be easy to access and replace.  Lifespan naturally depends on water chemistry history.

Since it sounds like you tried to DIY fix the jets instead of replacing. I'd advise you try ordering the oem replacement parts (like PN 73542) and see if that fixes the issue.  

The small tube outside of the "spine" is the air line, and is under a vacuum from the venturi built into the jet. This tube must be a vacuum hose or it will collapse. It gets the air through the air control valve, which can be turned off in most HS spas. So a blockage can reduce or eliminate air flow, but should not collapse the hose or stop the movement of the jet.

Repairs on these are tricky, as hose material and length are crucial, and seemingly minor details can make or break this rebuild. I only offer replacement in the field as I don't care to get married to a moto massage jet. It's an easier relationship when it's in your own back yard, but it's still going to be an ongoing relationship. So how much do you like fixing it? 

RD'....The original tube was collapsed, I bought another NEW tube that came with the white plastic piece that slides up between the spines. The new tube is collapsed when unit is on as well?

So according to the info you have supplied, Im wondering if I connect a long tube, stiffer in durometer to the most inner nipple the air tube connects to "As a test", then pull that tube above the water. I should feel a vacuum on that long test tube, correct? or are you saying that center tube that is collapsing should have air pushing thru it from the Air control valve?

Thank you for your reply....Im very mechanically inclined and can fix this...just need to know where to start.

Maybe pulling the air control valve apart and looking for clogs? or using a compressor and inject air into the center tube circuit to try and blow a clog out of the valve without disassembling it?

further inspection tonight, I tried every valve and no change enough to make it go up and down.

The center tube, even though it feels collapsed, does stop alot of the pressure if I pinch it closed? so I guess its passing air into the spine jets.

So I guess Ill buy new Spines with the Blue tubes. I replaced the old blown tubes with new flexible ones but there has to be a difference, and everything is pointing to the two spines with the jets on their ends.