Sundance Maxxus Vs. Hs Grandee

spa rookie

Thanks all for taking a minute to read this. I am "spa rookie" and need to have a few of my questions answered if at all possible.

1. In my city, I can't wet test either the HS Grandee or the Sundance Maxxus because the showrooms only have dry models on their floor. I have tested the HS Vanguard and Envoy and also the Sundance Optima but because both models are quit a bit smaller than the Grandee and the Maxxus, I don't think the wet test in those accurately portrays the soak I would get in the larger models.

2. My fiance is 5'3" and I am 6'4" and we are going to be the two primary users of the tub. I really fit well in the Maxxus (dry) and the Gradee (dry) but I am apprehensive that she is going to sit too low in those and I don't like the "booster seat" option as I think it is a solution for kids...not my future wife!

3. I love the Sundance stereo (that is a marine unit, correct?) and I think it is a good value. However, the HS stereo (while a cool concept with no speakers in the tub) is just a "cheesy" looking unit on the outside of the shell.

4. The difference in depth is HS (38") and Sundance (42.5"). This is great for me as it allows all of my torso to get underwater without slouching my butt off the seat. However, will my fiance have trouble staying "tall enough" to enjoy the soak?

5. The sales rep for Sundance said I needed to replace their "horizontal filter" (Micron II) every six months or so at about $80/each...which sucks. She also explained that it was not cleanable and can't be measured in terms of how many sf. it cleans effectively. Odd...please shed some light.

Any help you could shed would be great. I wish I could wet test the two models I am considering, but unfortunately the dealers in my area of Northern CA haven't made the possible. Also, HS claims to sell 60,000 hot tubs a year. Any idea how many Sundance sells? From my research HS seems to be a conservative "looking" brand with very minimal "upgrades."

Thanks for any help-

Confused-

Thanks all for taking a minute to read this. I am "spa rookie" and need to have a few of my questions answered if at all possible.

1. In my city, I can't wet test either the HS Grandee or the Sundance Maxxus because the showrooms only have dry models on their floor. I have tested the HS Vanguard and Envoy and also the Sundance Optima but because both models are quit a bit smaller than the Grandee and the Maxxus, I don't think the wet test in those accurately portrays the soak I would get in the larger models.

2. My fiance is 5'3" and I am 6'4" and we are going to be the two primary users of the tub. I really fit well in the Maxxus (dry) and the Gradee (dry) but I am apprehensive that she is going to sit too low in those and I don't like the "booster seat" option as I think it is a solution for kids...not my future wife!

3. I love the Sundance stereo (that is a marine unit, correct?) and I think it is a good value. However, the HS stereo (while a cool concept with no speakers in the tub) is just a "cheesy" looking unit on the outside of the shell.

4. The difference in depth is HS (38") and Sundance (42.5"). This is great for me as it allows all of my torso to get underwater without slouching my butt off the seat. However, will my fiance have trouble staying "tall enough" to enjoy the soak?

5. The sales rep for Sundance said I needed to replace their "horizontal filter" (Micron II) every six months or so at about $80/each...which sucks. She also explained that it was not cleanable and can't be measured in terms of how many sf. it cleans effectively. Odd...please shed some light.

Any help you could shed would be great. I wish I could wet test the two models I am considering, but unfortunately the dealers in my area of Northern CA haven't made the possible. Also, HS claims to sell 60,000 hot tubs a year. Any idea how many Sundance sells? From my research HS seems to be a conservative "looking" brand with very minimal "upgrades."

Thanks for any help-

Confused-

You're in a bind with the height difference between the two of you. She will need a booster seat on spas that are 38" I do believe and you'll find spas shallower to be not deep enough for you. You might as well get her a raft if you're thinking about a 42" spa.

I would definitely avoid a spa with a lounge as they will be usless to here and ?able for you IMO.

Those replaceable filters are not a great deal and if you talk to the dealer I think you'll find there is a standard filter that can be used in it's place. I wouldn't want to have to keep buying replacemtns either and since they are so fine they'll get gunked up and you'll have no choice but to replace them.

I am not a fan of the marine grade spa steroes. They may sound fine in the showroom but they do not hold up well, are not a good value IMO and only come with a 1 yr warranty. These are offered to give the customers what they think they want but those of us in the industry would have our friends/relatives skip these stereo units if we were helping them get a spa.

Hot Springs sells the most spas and has a very good reputation. Sundance sells many also and is also well respected. You can't go wrong on either.

Thanks for any help-

Confused-

Both spa are good, if you lllike the therapy of both spa in the smaller size you should like it in the bigger models

If you have wet tested the vanguard & liked it, you will love the grandee, both spas have the same jets and seating style, the Grandee is just one more seat and 2 inches deeper, the depth is in the foot well so your fiancee should be fine without the booster seat.

Okay...so marine grade stereo aside...for our height differences we ought to get ourselves the HS Grandee it sounds like. At 38" deep she will be more than enough under water and I will be sufficiently under unlike my wet test of the Optima. True?

Check out the Reward by Marquis spas great foot massage and a lot of different seat heights

i did tons of research and got down to the sundance optima vs the HS Grandee - the wet test did it for me, if you can i suggest that you do a wet test even if it means a long drive. maybe the local dealer knows your serious he will fill the tubs on display in his show room, one sundance guy did that for me. your strenght is the $$$$$ in your pocket that they want to seperate from you. you it as leverage. tomorrow i do my final negotiation for the grandee, yea baby. from what i learned the filtering system in the Grandee (i'm referring to the new GG model not the G model) is definately better because it filters 100% of the water, no water bypasses the filters. there is 5 tri-x reusable filters in the Grandee vs one micro fiber 2 filter in the optima and that one will not hold up in the dish washer for cleaning like the tri-x filters. i cant wait until this this tomorrow when i finally have the deal consumated and put all this research behind me. if you have any real important questions i suggest that you go to the source --> the mfg not the dealer. both companies where very helpful in answering my questions. oh by the way the Grandee needs to be on a specially made weight bearing platform or concrete slab at least 6" thick. if i wasn't so busy i could sell these things. hahaha - check out my posts for info on these two brands, some of the responses i got where very informative and helpful. they relate to questions on these two tubs. what State are you in? good luck. m

But I really wish the Grandee had the kind of foot massager that the Maxxus has. That is one thing I think Sundance has over HS.

If you were to say which one filtered better...which would it be? The HS Grandee or the Sundance Maxxus?

Thanks!

But I really wish the Grandee had the kind of foot massager that the Maxxus has. That is one thing I think Sundance has over HS.

If you were to say which one filtered better...which would it be? The HS Grandee or the Sundance Maxxus?

Thanks!

Somehow someway, you really need to wet test. The motomassage in the HS is a personal preference thing. We did not prefer it. To me it's underpowered and gimmicky.

HS has to have five filters to make the marketing claim of 100% FILTERED WATER. In my opinion, that is the reason their spas feel underpowered. They can only pull so much water through the filters. To get any power at all to any one position, you've got to crank the diverter to direct the flow of water to that one position, robbing the other positions serviced by that pump. That was something not acceptable to us.

The sundance polypropylene based filter filters down I believe to some number less than 10 microns which in theory means it will remove smaller particle size contaminates than the HS filter. Does that make it better? For spa use, I don't really know. But it is expensive to replace.

Given these are $10K+ range spas, I wouldn't want to buy one without wet-testing first.

Also don't be too sold on the foot dome in the Max. I can sit in my spa for 20 - 40 minutes and use the foot jets for only a few (I don't have a foot dome). The foot dome is nice because it provides a brace to help prevent float. EXCEPT, in the Maxxus, unlike the Optima, it's not positioned such that shorter people can really take advantage of it. So your shorter wife could use it in Optima for support, but probably would struggle in the Maxxus. If I've confused you more, I apologize. But since I own neither brand and have no agenda for or against either, I offer my opinion.

hi,

to further comment regarding the lack of power the pumps in the grandee - in my research that was a concern to me as well - with the new "GG" model HS put in more powerful pumps and a better heater. by the way i signed the deal last night. because its already snowing here i will not be able to get the site prep done until early spring so the dealer is giving me a 2006 for the price i negoiated - must say so far my dealer has been wonderful. good luck and do the wet test.

m

Somehow someway, you really need to wet test. The motomassage in the HS is a personal preference thing. We did not prefer it. To me it's underpowered and gimmicky.

HS has to have five filters to make the marketing claim of 100% FILTERED WATER. In my opinion, that is the reason their spas feel underpowered. They can only pull so much water through the filters. To get any power at all to any one position, you've got to crank the diverter to direct the flow of water to that one position, robbing the other positions serviced by that pump. That was something not acceptable to us.

The sundance polypropylene based filter filters down I believe to some number less than 10 microns which in theory means it will remove smaller particle size contaminates than the HS filter. Does that make it better? For spa use, I don't really know. But it is expensive to replace.

Given these are $10K+ range spas, I wouldn't want to buy one without wet-testing first.

Also don't be too sold on the foot dome in the Max. I can sit in my spa for 20 - 40 minutes and use the foot jets for only a few (I don't have a foot dome). The foot dome is nice because it provides a brace to help prevent float. EXCEPT, in the Maxxus, unlike the Optima, it's not positioned such that shorter people can really take advantage of it. So your shorter wife could use it in Optima for support, but probably would struggle in the Maxxus. If I've confused you more, I apologize. But since I own neither brand and have no agenda for or against either, I offer my opinion.