Bottom of hot tub is exposed wood?

Jstew600

I have a Sundance McKinley hot tub less than a year old. I just noticed that the base does not have a plastic cap around it like other spas. It is sitting on exposed wood painted black. Is this normal? Everyone else’s hot tubs I’ve seen have black plastic covering the wood which makes sense. 

146ECF7E-E51A-46AF-9DE2-D5448A01EB04.jpeg

0E248073-E46C-4CA4-BF05-299D2E19E247.jpeg

Not a Sundance dealer here.  The McKinley is a 680 series Sundance, which is their “entry level” collection.  Similar to a Hot Spot from Hot Spring, Vacanza from Caldera, and J200 from Jacuzzi.  It is typical for manufactures to have an exposed wood frame at those price points and have the ABS bottom pans on higher end models.

• Like 2

I had bought a used Dynasty pool, and the base was painted wood as well. It was not in great shape, and had been chewed on from mice and ants over the years by the looks of it.  

I had a bunch of 4" aluminum roll flashing (white on one side, black on the other), so I trimmed this down to fit the height of the base, and installed with a handful of black self tapping screws.  I also made sure the wood was first sprayed down good with an insecticide, just to be sure I'm not now hiding a colony of future ants.