Warranties: Jacuzzi / Artesian

Looking at a Jacuzzi 335 and Artesian Island series Antigua spas. There seems to be exclusions in the warranties on all the important component stuff. Is anything really covered “under warranty”? I’ve been trying to understand if one warranty is better than the other, as we like both spas. Artesian dealer has offered an upgrade from 3 to 5 years on the components for $300, but exclusions are still there so not sure it’s worth it. Also is the water purification systems better on one over the other? Any input please…Thanks            Ready to take the plunge!!

Most warranties have been scaled back in recent years as a cost cutting measure and most are pro rated over the life of the warranty so by year 2 you are paying 50% of the parts and labour. For the dealer Warranties are a break even at best. The factory will only pay XX ($60) amount for a specific repair and if you ever have to make a second trip to make the repair your loosing money. The factory does not cover travel time to and from the job so now the dealer has to charge a "Trip" fee. It is important to ask what they charge as it can range from $100 up to $200 and more if you are a distance away. Also important to ask if they service the warranty in house or if they use a 3rd party for service. As for the extra $300 for the extended warranty ask for it to be included in the negotiation at the end when you already know the price... I'll do the deal BUT..I want the extended warranty included or no deal and walk away. They will not give up a sale over $300. Another concern you should have is after warranty. Most of the big "Brand" name spas are very proprietary with the components of the spa and you can expect to pay max full price if you ever need a topside or spa pack down the road. There are no deals on parts and most can't be bought through an aftermarket or wholesale seller. Right to repair is a huge issue these days and a large part of the reason I am here helping folks. Artesian is a little more friendly in this respect using off the shelf packs, pumps and topsides that can be replaced with generic parts if you know what to look for.  

As for water purification systems you can expect to change out the Jacuzzi Clear ray bulb yearly. They have a timed reminder programmed into the topside. Bulb might still be good but it is a money maker for them.... " lasts quite a bit longer than you’d think. Engineered for efficiency, this small tube just needs to be changed every 12 months"... So add $130- $200 to your yearly expense for the bulb plus install and service trip fee if you don't DIY. Now having said that most systems only have a 1-2 year lifespans but almost nobody knows this and most never get changed out.

Remember to Vette the dealers reputation as much as you do brand and price. A spa is only as good as the support you can get. Good luck and please come back and let us know how it went...good and bad.

Where are you located?

• Like 1

I bought a Nevis, the Antiqua's little brother from the dealer in Raleigh. I have had it now for 11 months and still enjoy every minute of it and have had no problems that were not self inflicted. (air bound pump on initial fill). Very good dealer and they delivered to me north of Greensboro.

• Like 1