Old Spa builders SP-4 out of ideas.

Tubber49

Heater is tripping the GFCI.  OK, seems easy enough one would think BUT not when I turn the heater on.  It's a 110 tub so I've been running the pump with no heat just to keep it from freezing up.  So I turn on the heater and the heater runs for 6 hours before tripping, 3 hours before tripping, 4 hours, all sorts of random times.  The tub is now up to temp and I can go out and and turn it on and rely on it to run until ???.  

By the way, I can see how long it ran until tripping by checking the timer.  

Any thoughts???  BTW, it NEVER trips with just the pump on.  

TIA

The GFCI needs enough leakage current to ground before it trips - it could be that the heater circuit has a fault that is causing a ground leakage current that is just lower than the GFCI's trip threshold, and with enough time, it eventually trips it.

It could also be that the GFCI needs replacement.  disclaimer I am not a spa guy or electrician but aging GFCi's might need replacing over time if they randomly trip with no other faults found.