Low flow pump stopped working.

I have the balboa bp1500 board for my spa. I came here trying to find out which relay to replace... My issue is that the Low flow started intermittently working and now doesn't at all. Voltmeter test at the pump reads no voltage when the pump should be running, so I'm thinking relay. When I press the Jet button, the 'jet' diode turns on but nothing happens… I can hear and feel a click on the board but the pump doesn’t turn on. I think the click may be the K2 relay but I can’t say for certain. If I press the jet button again, the high flow pump turns on fine.  I have checked all fuses. Thanks for any advice!

This is the balboa board: Balboa BP1500

13 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Thanks for starting your own post. Disconnect the pump from the board and test at the board. I normally have my electronics guy replace all the relays and freshen up the entire board if you have to go that route

Good idea.  So I disconnected the pump and checked voltage.  I would get a slight bump in voltage at the board when switched on, but not much.  I went ahead and tapped the relay (K2) a couple times and it kicked the pump on.  A couple more taps on K2 and it turned back off/on.  So it seems like K2 is my issue...

• Like 1

The contacts on the relay have arced over. Build up of carbon is normal on relays that switch higher currents. They are not difficult to replace if you have some electronics experience and the relays are not really expensive and available thru Amazon and electronic supply outlets like Mouser, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, cranbiz said:

The contacts on the relay have arced over. Build up of carbon is normal on relays that switch higher currents. They are not difficult to replace if you have some electronics experience and the relays are not really expensive and available thru Amazon and electronic supply outlets like Mouser, etc.

Thanks and yep, I bought a 5 pack of the AZ762-1A-12DE relays (K2 Position) on amazon for $15.  Removing the relay was a little trickier than I expected.. to pull the solder out of the board, it took a bit of work.  First time I've done this and my soldering gun and desoldering pump are cheap.  I ended up taking the relay apart and removing the relay pegs 2x at a time. Since there are six, it came off in 3x parts.  I'm sure it wasn't the formal way to do it, but it worked.  The board is back on the spa and the low flow pump is working great now. It's a shame that people replace the entire board for hundreds of $ when the relay is so cheap.  But hopefully these threads help someone else save some $ as they have for me.  Thanks all!

• Like 2