Pump 2 error code after replacing

guy mango

Hello, new to the forum

After having pump 2 replaced for a leaking seal, we are getting a P2-err code, also pump comes on voluntarily and Is increasing temp reading above set temp.

The tech came back and checked everything.  After a reset it helped.  But yesterday it happened again. He's claiming the control pack needs to be replaced it's original. 

Im not buying, there was no issue until the very pump was replaced.  Also Pump#1  is the only pump that cycles for filtering and heating.  I'm suggesting he replace the pump to see if it's there pump causing the issue.

The tub is an Emerald and all equipment is Gecko. New pumps, new topside control 

Any suggestions will be awesome 

Need to know what Gecko System you have. Below if for IN.XM and XM2

P2 - Er System hasn’t detected any current change when turning Pump 2 on or off. Make sure Pump 2 is connected properly.
Manually change output status (on/off) of Pump 2 and cycle through all possible states (i.e. low and high speeds). Reset spa pack.
If error does not clear, problem is probably with Pump 2. It will need to be replaced.
If Pump 2 is replaced, a new learning routine must be performed.

https://spacare.com/productimages/pdfmanuals/Gecko/Service_manual in_xm.pdf

16 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

P2 - Er System hasn’t detected any current change when turning Pump 2 on or off. Make sure Pump 2 is connected properly.
Manually change output status (on/off) of Pump 2 and cycle through all possible states (i.e. low and high speeds). Reset spa pack.
If error does not clear, problem is probably with Pump 2. It will need to be replaced.

It's an in.xe as per manual.  We just got snow , but I will get to it soon and confirm and take pics of wiring and Pump. thanks friend

Screenshot_20220201-185457_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

30 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Also wired correctly,  what is a new learning routine performed mean?

Are you sure it's an IN.XE and not an XM or xm2... Don't see that error code come up for XE pack. Also post photo of the topside control so we know what you have.

See page 52 on how to test for power coming off the board. If all the parameters and low level programming is set correctly and you still get power coming off the board when you shouldn't then you have a pack issue and a possible stuck relay.

https://www.geckodepot.com/fichiers/documentsProduits/GDA/en/Techbook_in_xe_EN.pdf

7 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Are you sure it's an IN.XE and not an XM or xm2... Don't see that error code come up for XE pack. Also post photo of the topside control so we know what you have.

See page 52 on how to test for power coming off the board. If all the parameters and low level programming is set correctly and you still get power coming off the board when you shouldn't then you have a pack issue and a possible stuck relay.

https://www.geckodepot.com/fichiers/documentsProduits/GDA/en/Techbook_in_xe_EN.pdf

You are correct apologies . IN.XM1 pack. I attache all the photos you requested ,

20220202_141035.jpg

20220202_141148.jpg

20220202_141438.jpg

20220202_141952.jpg

Where's the ground wire?

See page 15 for programming reset: Note the current LL (low level) program that is currently installed before making any changes.  https://issuu.com/geckomkt/docs/inxm_techbook_en/1?e=14165552/31544052

IN.K600 topside programming: http://www.geckoalliance.com/documents/9919-100665.pdf

20 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Where's the ground wire?

See page 15 for programming reset: Note the current LL (low level) program that is currently installed before making any changes.  https://issuu.com/geckomkt/docs/inxm_techbook_en/1?e=14165552/31544052

IN.K600 topside programming: http://www.geckoalliance.com/documents/9919-100665.pdf

Ok, got ya. I see the programming  on 15 for the topside. I don't see how to reset the Pack other than hit the breaker.  It maybe possible that pump 2 is running longer in the filter cycle , hence cause the temp to rise up past the temp setting bc 2 pumps are running. 

Thanks for all your help by the way

5 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Pump2 should only run for a minute or 2 at the start of the filter cycle. How long do you have the filter cycle programmed for and how many times a day is it filtering?

My memory 2x a day. I think for an hour.

Is it possible the pack is going. It seems suspicious that this happened same time pump was swapped out. If a relay is sticking is that repairable

On a gfci breaker the lack of a ground is negligible. In fact, gfci protection is one solution for a circuit lacking a ground. This means it will not trip from a heater or equipment fault until something (or someone) grounded touches it and provides a path to ground. Then the gfci kicks at .005 amps, which is less than lethal (theoretically).

@CanadianSpaTech, that pic reminds me of an incident I once saw. I was working with an electrician who worked for a guy who owned a bunch of strip malls. Strip mall owner insists that electrician hire his (owners) son. Electrician knows that he will be replaced by the son after he trains him, and is not happy. First day on the job, electrician says to owners son, "I'm going to teach you how to wire a panel." He pulls up a wooden stool, which I found curious at first since sitting on the job is not normal, and proceeds to start working this HOT panel using a metal allen wrench set. With the wrench in one lug he folded it half closed so it touched the other lug. Needless to say, a huge explosive arc welded the allen wrench set and popped louder than gunfire with the mini lightning bolt it created. Electrician was unharmed, since he was not grounded sitting with his feet up on the rungs of a wooden bar stool, but I have never in my life seen anyone move so fast as the new guy. He ran away and never came back. Electrician says "it only cost me an allen set to keep my job for the rest of my life". 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

On a gfci breaker the lack of a ground is negligible. In fact, gfci protection is one solution for a circuit lacking a ground. This means it will not trip from a heater or equipment fault until something (or someone) grounded touches it and provides a path to ground. Then the gfci kicks at .005 amps, which is less than lethal (theoretically).

@CanadianSpaTech, that pic reminds me of an incident I once saw. I was working with an electrician who worked for a guy who owned a bunch of strip malls. Strip mall owner insists that electrician hire his (owners) son. Electrician knows that he will be replaced by the son after he trains him, and is not happy. First day on the job, electrician says to owners son, "I'm going to teach you how to wire a panel." He pulls up a wooden stool, which I found curious at first since sitting on the job is not normal, and proceeds to start working this HOT panel using a metal allen wrench set. With the wrench in one lug he folded it half closed so it touched the other lug. Needless to say, a huge explosive arc welded the allen wrench set and popped louder than gunfire with the mini lightning bolt it created. Electrician was unharmed, since he was not grounded sitting with his feet up on the rungs of a wooden bar stool, but I have never in my life seen anyone move so fast as the new guy. He ran away and never came back. Electrician says "it only cost me an allen set to keep my job for the rest of my life". 🤣

Thanks,  and some story. Being a retired firefighter(FDNY), the one thing that scares the snot out of me is electric emergencies or operating with water anywhere near electric. But yes there's a big I belive 50 amp beaker under my deck and they ran 65-2 incased wire, expensive stuff. Should I call him to run the ground. He's a friend but I don't want to challenge his skills, 11yrs later🤣