Troubleshooting After Lightning Strike

frink

I have an older Caldera Highland Series San Gabriel Spa. It was operating very well; in fact I changed the pump about 5 months ago. I did this myself and I consider myself a decent DIY homeowner. We had a lightning strike 2 nights ago and lost many electronics in the house... HVAC control board, an outlet with a night light in it exploded...Fire Department etc. One of the casualties appears to be my Spa. The GFI breaker was found tripped at some point after the strike, and when i reset the breaker and go check out the spa, I find the control panel functions but switches wildly between temperatures and functions on its own. 80, 91, 115, back to 85 etc. Periodically between temperature switches the pump kicks on briefly, but shuts off likely when the temp switches back to a number below the heat pump setting. Obviously something is fried, but I am curious to know what this group thinks may be the likely culprit - control board, or main board. How would you go about troubleshooting? Thanks!

Here is a youtube video of it live:

@frink What year is the spa. The company that was making the topside controls went out of business years ago and if you have to replace the topside they are not available and you will have to replace the entire control system...pack and topside. I think pre 2012 is where the cut off is on the topside but you should verify that yourself. I have had several with topside issues and have replaced the control system with used Gecko S-class packs and also Balboa VS pack. You could also buy the manufacturers proprietary upgrade system. There will be some things you will need to know if it gets to that point. Tag me in a post and we can guide you from there.

@CanadianSpaTechThank you very much for your response. You are absolutely correct, I have researched the topside control replacement and confirmed it is the model no longer available from Caldera (it's the pre-2012 one that is impossible to find) https://www.spapartsguy.com/caldera-spa-topside-control-panel-higland-series-76109-for-2006-2010-models-replaces-73855-73856-no-longer-available/. Once or twice every couple months they do appear on ebay, I guess I could wait to try and snag one there...

Would there be any suggested troubleshooting to start before just going to replace both panels? Thx again.

3 hours ago, frink said:

Once or twice every couple months they do appear on ebay, I guess I could wait to try and snag one there...

Noooooo....!!!

Replace the pack with something currently in production, and NEVER from ebay. The stories of bad ebay parts are numerous on this forum, and in my personal experience with my customers. Don't buy someone elses used pos. 

Post some pics of the equipment area and we'll steer you in the right direction.

• Like 2