Sundance Capri 2005 circulation pump will not stay on longer than 30 seconds when set for 24 hr running

I have always had the circulation pump running 24hrs and now I found it off.  I got into the hot tub this morning and it was off but the temp was at normal 104.  It then started up a minute after I was in the tub.  It ran for awhile and then shut off.  It will also run if I run the jets.  I pushed up the temp to see if it would start and it did but then shut off after about 30 seconds. 

Could this be a heater going bad?  The pump was replaced a couple of years ago and seems to be fine.

Do you own a multimeter? Check voltage to the circulation pump. Some have a fuse for the circ pump as well, you might check that too.

Turn down temp and run jet 1 for a minute. Turn off power and unplug sensor harness and test sensors using the ohm setting. It is difficult to get the tester probes in the little rectangular windows on the side of the harness, but it can be done. Or you can remove them by depressing the metal tab inside the window and pull on the wire. Post results

Post a pic of your circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area.

On 3/1/2021 at 3:24 PM, RDspaguy said:

Do you own a multimeter? Check voltage to the circulation pump. Some have a fuse for the circ pump as well, you might check that too.

Turn down temp and run jet 1 for a minute. Turn off power and unplug sensor harness and test sensors using the ohm setting. It is difficult to get the tester probes in the little rectangular windows on the side of the harness, but it can be done. Or you can remove them by depressing the metal tab inside the window and pull on the wire. Post results

Post a pic of your circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area.

I have a multi-meter and have even replaced relays on the board.  The temp seems to stay at the temp it is set at and the circulation pump turns on when the temp lowers but it was set to run 24 hrs a day.  The other thing that I noticed it will not stay at a temperature when you set it higher.  It just goes back to showing the current temp which it never did before.  Something has changed on the board.  It is not an urgent deal right now since it keeps the temp at 104 degrees even though I moved the jumper on the board so it will allow going up to 106 it does not want to go to that temp anymore...it used to.  After 16 years of working fine I guess it might be on it's way out...hope not since a new one is too expensive.  Although a new circuit board is much cheaper.  The sensor for the heater and the water temp by the filter have all been changed a few months back.  This just happened.

There are a few reasons why a circulation pump will not run for 24hours on a Sundance.

1) Check to make sure the circulation pump is actually still set to run 24 hours.

2) Summer logic.  If the spa water is 2 degrees above the set temp, the circulation pump will shut off

In any other instance, if the circulation pump is not running when it is supposed to be, you should get an error message.

When setting the temperature, a Sundance always reverts back to the actual water temperature after 3-5 seconds.  Are you saying that the set temp reverts back to 104 after setting it to 106?

First thing I did was check the settings.  

Did not know about summer logic.

No error messages

I do not think it changes from the set temp.  It is doing what you say, going back to actual water temp.

Maybe the summer logic is what is happening.  When I got in the spa the other day it was hot and the pump was off and then after a couple of minutes it turned on.  That told me that it senses that fact that the temp went down a degree or more and needed to turn on the heater and pump.

I think for now I will leave it all alone.  If there is something going bad it will have to get worse to get fixed.

Thanks for the insight.