OH Code - Balboa VL403

Brady17

Hello, 

Having some issues with my spa throwing the OH code.  I have looked into all the possible causes and tried trouble shooting a few different a few different things.  I believe the issue is happening when the tub enters the filter cycle.   I've tried changing the cycles with the F2, F4, F6 and F8 functions but it doesn't seem to make a difference depending on which setting I have it on.  When the tub is not in the filter cycle mode the problem doesn't occur.  It will reach the desired temperature and then shut off like its suppose to.  Curious if anyone would have any guidance with this.  

A pump running can overheat a spa, but it will actually overheat the water in the tub, not just in the heater at the sensor. Most OH errors are from low flow through the heater, where the sensor is located, and do not actually overheat the water in the spa.

4 hours ago, Brady17 said:

I believe the issue is happening when the tub enters the filter cycle. 

You believe? When it enters the filter cycle, meaning when it starts? Or sometime during? Or that is your guess and you really don't know?

At face value, I would say your pump is overheating during a filter cycle and shutting off when the heater is on, thus causing the heater to overheat. Is your pump loud? Any grinding, squealing, or rhythmic tone changes from the pump? Run it for 10 minutes then touch the top, it should be hot but not painfully so.

19 hours ago, RDspaguy said:
19 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

A pump running can overheat a spa, but it will actually overheat the water in the tub, not just in the heater at the sensor. Most OH errors are from low flow through the heater, where the sensor is located, and do not actually overheat the water in the spa.

You believe? When it enters the filter cycle, meaning when it starts? Or sometime during? Or that is your guess and you really don't know?

At face value, I would say your pump is overheating during a filter cycle and shutting off when the heater is on, thus causing the heater to overheat. Is your pump loud? Any grinding, squealing, or rhythmic tone changes from the pump? Run it for 10 minutes then touch the top, it should be hot but not painfully so.

I believe it's in the filter cycle because the pump keeps running after the heater turns off when it has reached the temp it's set at.  And then sometime after that is when the OH code is thrown, when the pump is running but the heater isn't.  I checked the water last night after the code was thrown and it was only reading 100 degrees, so the tub water isn't actually reaching 108+.  Do you think this is a sign that the pump is going on it? 

17 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

How old are the filters and when was the last time you cleaned them?

Remove filters and reset breaker. Remove them from the equation. Dirty filters are flow killers. If the OH returns after removing the filters...  

check for rhythmic tone changes...lol

The filter was replaced in the fall. And I tried cleaning it this past weekend as well.  It appears to be pretty clean, I haven't tried running it without the filter in yet though I will give that a try today.  

On 3/2/2021 at 6:26 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Get it out and leave it out until the issue is fixed

Yeah I tried pulling the filter out and still got the OH code.  Seemed to have run a lot longer before it actually threw the code this time though.  Going to try and test the sensors with an ohm meter in the next couple days here and will let you guys know what I find.  

On another note,  what do people usually have the filter cycle set at? I have the F2, F4, F6 and F8 options. With the filter out the tub seemed to have kept running with the heater off for an awfully long time. I assume that would mean its doing a filter cycle? Or any other ideas why it would keep running without the heater on?  

Sounds like a sticking heater relay.  OH may not occur during filtration cycle because water is still moving through heater but when water flow stops and heater relay is stuck on the high limit will trip.  This is a repairable failure.

spokanespas.com

On 3/10/2021 at 11:55 PM, spokanespas said:

Sounds like a sticking heater relay.  OH may not occur during filtration cycle because water is still moving through heater but when water flow stops and heater relay is stuck on the high limit will trip.  This is a repairable failure.

spokanespas.com

Father in law is an electrician so i'll get him to look at the relay...would it just be tested with an ohm meter?