Caldera pump 2 requires pump 1 running, is this normal?

JoshF

Several years ago I replaced Pump 2 after some tripping problems in a 2004 Caldera Utopia Geneva. Things worked great. 

One day I noticed that whenever I started Pump 2, Pump 1 would come on also. I swear it didn't work that way before. I haven't had any problems with either pump but it doesn't seem right.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal and if not point me towards where to start troubleshooting.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my circuit board. I'm concerned it may be the board. I disconnected both pumps and tested it. 240v is sent to both Jet 1 & 2 terminals regardless of which jet is turned on. 

It may be nothing but I also noticed with both jets off each set of terminals also gets 16-24v continuously.

20201213_141727.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi did you figure out what’s happening? I have a similar (but not exactly the same) problem with the same circuit board: on my Caldera Niagara:

turn on jets 1 also turns on jets 2 at high

turn on jets 2 (should be low) goes straight to high

This happened for a while and then stopped and things returned to normal for a few weeks but is now back to happening again consistently.