Just Bought a Used 2010 Arctic Spa Tundra - $800 - Good Deal/Refinish Reccomendations

bradzal

I just bought an Arctic Spa Tundra from someone on Kijiji for $800. I'm pretty sure I got an awesome deal as it seems some of these are still going for $5000 or so.

I't is going to be picked up an delivered next week and I plan to refinish the cedar shell and clean it up a bit (re-stain it and seal it), but it is in good working condition (they were still using it).

I'm going to be holding on to it inside my garage until Spring. What would you recommend to do to it to ensure it lasts another 10 years? Are there any recommended upgrades I should look into doing as well?

Thanks!

tundrahottub1.JPG

I have a 1988 CalSpa, purchased new; mine's on the patio but sides get Arizona winter sun, and some water on its wood siding (redwood).  I do what the salesman told us way back when: I use Thompson's Water Seal and add about 25% linseed oil to that, and paint that on every fall.

I guess you could also use some stain and wood protect product.

Thanks for the recommendation! I think that would be a good idea.

My plan is to lightly power wash it, then use some sealant stripper, power wash again, then sand it and then stain and seal it.

I won't be installing it until the spring so I have the time. I know it is going to be a major PITA sanding the entire casings though haha. 

We bought an 8 year old Arctic Fox and after we replaced the headrests, jet inserts and sanded it down and oiled it, it looked brand new. Think we paid £4,500 for it (they're £8,500 new I think). So you've had a pretty good deal! Arctic Spas are renowned for their quality and seem to keep their value really well. I would recommend looking to get an annual service just to ensure that everything is running as it should, be wary though as you obviously want the person who is servicing your hot tub to know what they're doing. 

I'm going to drop a couple of links down here which I found useful before buying our hot tub

https://www.conceptspa.co.uk/hot-tub-buyers-guide

https://www.conceptspa.co.uk/hot-tub-health-benefits

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I just redid mine (cedar shell) last summer.  A 2010 Arctic.

I think it was Olympic Stain - Maximum Stain,  Toner / Cedar Natural Tone.    First of all ,  if your tub is outside,  do this when there are two-three days of dry weather.    I did two sides (the other two sides are close to the fence,  they do not get weather/sun exposure but I will be doing those this summer)

I did not strip it - just TSP cleaned and sanded.   It's cedar and it didn't need any fancy poly-sealants.

1) I used TSP (a non-toxic type),  use rubber gloves... warm water and a scrub sponge (the back is a scrubber, front a sponge) - and wash/scrub the surface.  You'd be amazed at how much it will clean up.

2) After this has dried - I used,  I think,  100 grit sandpaper and block - hand sanded,  tack clothed it,   then repeated with 120 grit and tacked it again,   then stained it with a good brush.

Had I done more with the prep it would have restored to nearly original state - but,  it's really good enough,  looks great.

The steps?   That was a job for TSP,   and a power sander - 80 grit then 100 grit,   then same stain.

Wow thanks north_of_boston! That was very helpful! It is in my garage now and I have the sides off. Everything looks great internally, so the sanding/re-staining is going to be the main job.

Sounds like I wont need to worry about the power washing. That may just cause more damage if I'm not careful.

I'll give the TSP a go.

• 10 months later...

Good afternoon! I want to be invited, lol. Actually, try to call there. They are into bathroom stuff refinishing and reglazing. They give free consultations and estimate the price of the work. I used their service two times when I was renovating my house. I should say they do not charge a lot like other companies and the quality is high. You will also get a five-year warranty, by the way.