Any way to increase heating element life - CalSpa ?

Cusser

I have a 1988 CalSpa Hawaiian model, 240 volts.  It uses a standard type screw-in water heater element, screws into a stainless steel manifold.  I've noticed that lately it seems that the screw threads on the elements corrode sooner than in the past, wonder if it's just poorer materials in the element construction, or what I'm doing wrong.  My water pH tests right in the middle of the desired range. Seems like my elements are lasting like 6 months now.

I've already cut a recess in the inside plastic liner so that I can changeover an element pretty easily (end of element goes into the recess, than I can angle it out), thanks to an idea for my daughter.  And of course the CalSpa factory silicone-glue set up for the heater junction wires was ridiculous too.

I have not used any never-seize lubricant or PTFE tape on the heater element threads, wonder if something like that might help.