Hayward S166T High Rate Sand Filter Leaks (2Nd Unit With Same Issue)

Cusser

My pool came with a new Hayward pump and Hayward S166T high rate sand filter with SP0714T series vari-flo XL valve. I had water leaks typically where the 1.5 inch plastic hose barbs screwed in, just let it leak as it was small. But I also had a crack on the tank neck, even though I had not overtightened the clamp the ONE time I had the SP0714T valve off and took the valve in for a new seal.

So I thought the easiest thing would be to buy a brand-new Hayward S166T sand filter as it would fit right in, so I did about 1.5 years ago, and opened it up to add sand and get it ready. Well that one has never been opened since then and it also has a crack on the neck and leaks water out there and out the seal under the valve when the pump is running. The filter tank appears to be polypropylene so most glues will not work with that.

So let's just say that I am NEVER going to buy a Hayward filter again. If anyone has any ideas to help me, I'm open to help. My pool has an automatic fill valve so even with this small leak + evaporation my water level is OK.

By the way, the genuine Hayward skimmer basket SP-1094-FA cracks readily if it gets leaves in it which causes the pump suction to be greater. I have typically reinforced these using 3 small cable ties. Unfortunately the aftermarket skimmer baskets are even more breakable.