Hot Tub Wiring - Gauge Question

I am getting ready to wire up a late model Sundance Hot Tub that takes a 60amp breaker and disconnect. The run is 65 feet with 45' leg from the main panel to the disconnect (mostly inside) and 20' from disconnect to spa (all outside/buried). I will be changing the spa's jumper configurations so that it uses max amperage (48 max out with both pumps and heater running).

Using the 125% rule, I could be using all 60 of those amps under load, startup, etc.

I am concerned with derating, heat, etc., with a run that long if code/manufacturer tells me I need a 60 amp box.

Should I run 6 or 4 gauge THHN/THWN wire for the first leg (45') to the disconnect box? I don't think I'm able to run 4 gauge wire into the tub as the tub's control panel terminals won't accept that size.

Is there any benefit to doing this or should I just go all 6 gauge since the last leg from disconnect to spa is 6 gauge.

The work will be inspected but I'm above all shooting for maximum peace of mind from my installation beyond the inspector's say so.

• 3 weeks later...

Nec states disconnect must be within 20'. I just finished installing mine last week. From main panel to disconnect is about 75'. Then disconnect to spa is about 12'.

We used #6 in all runs. Our spa required 60amp circuit and has a stated max draw of 48amps. Sounds exactly like yours.

My father is an electrician and did all the work. We had permits and inspections as well.

There is a code about 4 wires in a 1" conduit and some weird 10% size (if all 4 are being used). But our local inspector didn't care about it and had no issues with how we installed it.

I would suggest you just go ask this question to your local inspector so there're no surprises. That much wire isn't cheap.