Hot Tub Wont Heat

1st this forum has always been a life saver , many thanks !!

I've got a solana TX 2005 with blinking lights. They've happened before and simply unplugging and plugging the unit fixed the issue.

Now it wont and the tub is cooling ( you can see heating mode is trying to come on, but runs 24/7 and worried this will burn out the motor eventually. ( bad timing since winter is here). Did a few tests , the heater lugs measure 120 against the binding wire ( against each other 0), so electrically seems ok. ( it's wired for 120V )

Can't Amp test the wires to the heating element as there is no access to get an app meter clamp on, so not sure if there is electrical flow through the element ( thought about a continuity test but not sure if that is indicative of a failed element) . Jumped the pressure switch as well ( removed connections bypassing the pressure switch and joined them with some romex) . Still blinking dots and not sure what else to try. Any advice would be awesome .

Thanks in advance !!

Don't jump the pressure switch- that will just lead to a different flow error.

Your initial problem is a flow error. Try removing the filter, and silver ion cartridge if you have one in there, and see if the problem vanishes.

You can get two different flow errors. Stuck open (when the filter is clogged) and stuck closed (when you jump the pressure switch)

Just OHM out the pressure switch since you seem to know how to do that- with the pump running, and not running

Thank you so much for the reply !!!

We did remove the filter in the early stages of diagnosing the problem, forgot to mention that in the port

So I'm continuity checking the pressure switch across it's to leads connected to the board with pump in heating mode or just on/off ? And I guess that will tell me if the switch is faulty ?

Thanks !!!!

If we were to throw darts at a dartboard, based on the description you've given thus far, the first dart would be aimed squarely at the pressure switch.

Does that mean that the pressure switch is the problem for every single person with these exact symptoms? Unfortunately, no, it does not. More like 9/10. I like those odds.

But the great thing- we can stop guessing once it warms up and you OHM out the pressure switch :)

Ok finally got to testing I show continuity always.. Yes the switch is disconnected from the circuit board. Wasn't the result I was expecting.

But it is. You just confirmed a bad pressure switch. There should only be continuity when the pump is running, and no continuity when the pump is off. If you're getting continuity when the pump is off, the pressure switch is defective.

Just pop in a new one, you'll be good to go :)

• 1 month later...

I need the same help for my 1993 Hot Spring Classic F. This Forum has gotten me up and running to this point. Now I am stumped. After filling the tub a few months ago to do a flush after I did the conversion from DC to AC that was recommended I discovered I had all pumps, jets, light working, but no heat. I did the flush in cold water, then drained the tub to work on the heat issue. Then I discovered I had pinched the capillary tube for the thermostat so I replaced the thermostat. The spa limit switch and high limit switch both tested fine using the hot water bath test. At the same time I replaced the thermostat and was running a test with power I discovered that my heater relay was not working, so I have replaced that. I have tested the heater element by plugging it into an outlet with the adapter plug for a couple seconds. It heats. Before I filled the tub this time I installed an ozone generator. It is working fine along with the circulation pump and all the jets. But I still have no heat, just like before. What have I not replaced that could be the problem? How do I test it? What else could it be, a failed new part like the relay? HELP.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Balboa MVS504DZ controller on my Artesian Hot tub. I get OHH reading. I have a circulation pump just for the heater - does not come on. I checked continuity on all 4 fuses. Ok there. The pump was replaced 2 years ago. Pulled plug off pump at controller and checked for voltage. Get 120V on top and bottom pins. no voltage on other pins. The pump is 230V. Could use some guidance.