Setting Up Ozonator System, Need Tubing Help

mrwrick

Hi all, I have enjoyed great information and guidance in this forum for a couple of years. The 1990 Hot Spring Classic Model F spa I resurrected is functioning well. I use the Nitro method of sanitation. I have another older Hot Spring Classic, a 1993, also Model F, that has undergone work after sitting for years. It has been cleaned out with a borate solution, Clean Start (?), drained, and now ready to be reassembled with a Del Ozone generator/Maffei injector ozonator system to help maintain sanitation during absences. My recent efforts have been to assemble proper fittings to route the tubing from the recirc pump to the heater and then (now) to the ozone injector and into the Hartford loop of tubing. I have identified Vartek as the maker of the existing tubing. But I cannot find that anywhere. Please give me specifications for the 3/4 inch ID tubing I need/can use for my application, and a reliable source for a consumer in the San Francisco Bat Area of California. If you have tips for setting up the system, such as the order of components, fittings and length of the loop to finish this installation I will be able to get this spa working in time for Thanksgiving, my current goal.

Thanks. I was not sure if the generic tubing would stand up to the bromine, heat and ozone, since it only has a 75 or so degree

rating printed on it. The Vartek is also much stiffer, so it will be alot easier to roll a good number of feet of the softer generic to fitin the cavity left in the equipment compartment. Now on to installation. Thanks again.

Good to know about the periodic replacement cycle.

I am curious about your comment that the ozone tubing only has ozone in it when the spa is working, not water. My understanding is that theozone system works in conjunction with the recirc pump which is 24/7, is specifically wet since it is plumbed to inject ozone into the

tubing by vacuum after the water runs through the heater to keep the ozone out of the heater, to avoid deterioration of that expensive component, and then the ozone-exposed hot water runs through the long tubing to let the water absorb as much ozone as possible before it gets

into the spa where it does its work. Did I miss something?

I was referring to only the 1/4" or 1/8" ozone tubing, not the 3/4" or 1/2" spa water tubing. If sounds as though you're referring to the circ pump plumbing/ tubing. Don't worry about Ozone or chemical depletion of that tubing, or replacement of the water tubing. The ozone is so diluted at that point, it will have no effect on the tubing. It is also extremely resilient to water chemistry damage, and does not need periodic replacment.

The ozone tubing, however, will need replacement every few years.

• 4 months later...

After rereading the helpful tips here I finally got the system Installed and is working well. Will know in a couple weeks when I return to use this spa if it works as advertised to control sanitation. It will be running 24/7 along with my low speed recirculation pump, so I am told it will be producing enough ozone sanitizing that my bromine floater may be dispensable. How does that sound?