Spa Runs 2 Minutes Then Shuts Down Completely

ltek

I emptied my hot tub for the summer and today starting it up again (refill, etc).

Looks like the heater is causing the breaker to trip... as soon as i see the heater light turn on the breaker trips. (It ran for 12 months prior without issue)

... is there a fix for this other than buying a new heater?

... the heater element might have been dry, or sitting in dirty water for 3-4 months BUT

When I turn on the breaker (one next to the tub) I don't get error codes, just this: 137 - 65 - 24 - 24 - PR
I primed the pumps and let it run for a few minutes – that went fine - does not trip the breaker.

I can turn it on and let it run for almost exactly 2 minutes, then trips the breaker (one next to tub, not main panel) - I think because the heater kicks in after 2 minutes?
I can get it running again by turning off/on the breaker – I don’t get any error codes.

I tested:
temp sensors… 40ohm – based on the temp/ohm chart this is correct for the water temp
heating element… 12-13 Ohm

Thank you for the help!
Aaron

OHM's have nothing to do with current leakage, unless it a dead short. You could try cleaning it. Wave a magic wand, turn around three times with your eyes closed. All of those might work, if it's just a tiny amount of corrosion that's leading to current leakage under load.

But the only thing guaranteed to work is a new heater.

As a professional, we don't usually really have time as a commodity to try things that will only work rarely, with no guarantee that it will keep working. But it is entirely possible that just turning it off, and on again several dozen times will eventually fix the problem. It's also possible, and likely that it won't. If you're fixing it yourself, it's worth a shot.

Good luck!