Need Advice On My First Spa Purchase

Tman1645

Over the next 3-4 weeks my wife and I plan to purchase a spa. We've wanted one for years but the company I work for his moved me a lot and we've been afraid to move a spa. We will likely be moving again within a couple of years but we decided to go ahead and get us one since we've been patiently waiting for 5 years. Anyway, I'm a bit lost and want advice.

Please factor in it will need to be moved. Is this hard to do? Also we want a good quality tub that seats 5-6, don't think we need a lounge. Leaning towards a jacuzzi but only because that's all I know. The financial goal is to spend $6-7k on it, stereo isn't a must but I'd like one.

As for the purchase, I would say visit several dealers and wet test each spa to find the one that you like. If you are going to buy new, my suggestion would be to let the wet test be your ultimate guide, but apart from that, stay within your budget...both ends of it...a purchase like this isn't for the stingy.

Moving a spa is only as difficult as you make it. Best advice here, put it on a patio with little or no shrubbery and other landscaping around it, keep it on top of the ground. Things that complicate the move...dropping the spa in a hole or vault, putting it on a significantly elevated deck, landscaping, steep inclines, basically anything that will cause extra lifting of the spa or get in the way of moving it without it being tipped on its side.

Having said that, all of the above can be done, but if you want the simplest, least expensive way, put it on a flat patio ideally one that you can back the spa dolly right up to.

Advice on the stereo, don't get one with the spa, just set up some outdoor speakers near the spa and pipe in music from your iTunes, google play or whatever collection. Better quality and one less thing to have to repair on the spa.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you gave me good direction on the stereo. We have a chance to purchase a new last year model jacuzzi 365 for a great price compared to the 2014 model. Only difference is the older model doesn't have a stereo.

Do you have a suggestion on brands?

Also- back to outside music, any speaker suggestions. My first concern was that I need speaker inside due to not heading over the jets.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

I recently bought a used Hot Spring Jetsetter and moved it myself, so I will try to address a bit about that topic from a non-professional point of view, note most of the techniques used came from watching youtube hot tub moving videos. The tub I bought is probably a bit smaller and lighter than the ones you are looking at, mine is a Hot Spring Jetsetter a "3" person 215 gallon tub with about a 5'3"x6"10' foot print, but is fairly heavy (well built) from a tub its size weighing in at about 475 pounds vs something like a small 325 gallon 5 seat no lounger HS Prodigy which measures 6'2" x 7'3" and 613 pound dry or larger 6 seat HS Vangaurd at 7'3" x 7"3" 400 gallon and 789 pounds. The priniples of moving are the same regardless of a slight difference in size, which basically means take it slow, plan out your actions and don't let anything get away from you. In my case I bought an older used tub for about $1,000 which was in great shape as it had been in storage indoors for some time, in fact probaly spent its whole life indoors, the tub was about 150 miles away and the seller offered to meet me half way, so he loaded it on his trailer and I brought mine and we met up at a Wal-Mart Parking lot about half way in between. We both brought trailler much larger than was needed for the project, his a 24 ft or so deck over gooseneck and mine an 18 ft metal flat deck car hauler with a dovetail end. Moving it from one trailer to the other was trivial, it involved backing them end to end, bridging the space between them with a couple of lengths of large (3 inch or so) metal conduits the seller brought and rolling the tub from one trailer to the other on a couple of 6 ft lengths of 2 inch PVC pipe, then strapping it back down.

Once home my college age son and I (with a bad back, and therefore the reason to buy the hot tub)rolled it down the extendable ramps on the rear of my trailer again using some scrap PVC pipes, in this case a mix and match set of 3/4 - 2 inch bits of discarded pipes 5.5 -7 ft long. This placed it in the driveway about 50 feet from its eventual destination inside my pool house. I could have rolled it there all the way on PVC pipes (ancient pyramid builder style) using a couple of pieces of plywood to cross the section of grass yard that the trailer would have been difficult to manuaver through, but instead I cheated and used the heavy equipment method. I borrowed a small 35HP utility tractor with a front end loader, rolled the trailer onto a cargo net using the PVC pipes again, and lifted it with the tractor and carried it about 40 ft. Leaving the last 15 ft to go, up a step through a 5'6" doorway and then about another 8 -10 ft to its resting place. This time using a pair of furniture dollies for the trip through the doorway as the pipes were too long to clear. In hindsight I doubt if I saved all that much time or effort using the tractor given the short 20-30 ft hop that was needed, getting a 3rd person and a couple of sheets of plywood might have been easier, but the tractor was only about half a mile away... Still all of this was done with 2 people in about 2.5 hours of total time, 1/2 hour unloading from the trailer at dusk, and 2 hours the next day getting it the last 50 feet, much of that was the tight fit through the doorway and getting the tractor. Of course each situation is different, and hills, steps, narrow passages, etc are the enemy.

Ike

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you gave me good direction on the stereo. We have a chance to purchase a new last year model jacuzzi 365 for a great price compared to the 2014 model. Only difference is the older model doesn't have a stereo.

Do you have a suggestion on brands?

Also- back to outside music, any speaker suggestions. My first concern was that I need speaker inside due to not heading over the jets.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Not sure what you are looking for in speakers, but if you want a great stereo system, look up Sonos. I'm not in any way affiliated with them, but I have the system and it is great. The speakers are portable, the only thing is that each speaker needs to be plugged in to an electrical outlet. So if you have electrical outlets close to where you want your speakers, you might want to look at this system.

Over the next 3-4 weeks my wife and I plan to purchase a spa. We've wanted one for years but the company I work for his moved me a lot and we've been afraid to move a spa. We will likely be moving again within a couple of years but we decided to go ahead and get us one since we've been patiently waiting for 5 years. Anyway, I'm a bit lost and want advice.

Please factor in it will need to be moved. Is this hard to do? Also we want a good quality tub that seats 5-6, don't think we need a lounge. Leaning towards a jacuzzi but only because that's all I know. The financial goal is to spend $6-7k on it, stereo isn't a must but I'd like one.

Hi Tman1645,

Hot Spring offers a variety of 5-6 seat spa models. Based on your needs I recommend you take a look at the Hot Spring Vanguard (http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/highlife/vanguard). As Brettnolan mentioned, the best next step would be to schedule a test soak with your local Hot Spring dealer: http://www.hotspring.com/find-a-dealer. You can see the spa options for yourself, ask about pricing, get in the spa yourself, and learn more about the wireless music system (if you change your mind). We of course are available to assist you as you begin your hot tub search.

Best of luck!

Erica

The Hot Spring Team

Can't help on choosing a spa except to say that my Marquis has been flawless.

With regard to the stereo, I would advise using a portable Bose system that has bluetooth capability and just bring it with you and set it on a table or chair near the spa. The sound is fantastic, you'll have access to your playlists/Pandora/iTunes radio on your phone or tablet, and you can use it in other places besides the spa.

Thanks Erica,

We recently moved to the Peoria, Illinois area (plan to be here for just a couple yrs). I've been to great escapes and have considered Jacuzzi, Sundance and Ecco as they have gave me good offers on last years models. Do you know if there is a local hot spring dealer and are they offering 2013 close outs? The goal is to get it done for around $8k

Thanks Erica,

We recently moved to the Peoria, Illinois area (plan to be here for just a couple yrs). I've been to great escapes and have considered Jacuzzi, Sundance and Ecco as they have gave me good offers on last years models. Do you know if there is a local hot spring dealer and are they offering 2013 close outs? The goal is to get it done for around $8k

Hi Tman1645,

Thanks for the response. Yes, there is a Hot Spring dealer in your area, Aquatech Pool & Spas

(http://www.aquatechpoolsandspas.net/).I would give them a call and ask about 2013 specials. The team at Aquatech is willing and able to help you find the best spa to fit your needs and budget. Please let our team know if you have any questions during your spa search. We are happy to help!

For reference their phone number is 309-263-8233.

Thank you,

Erica

The Hot Spring Team

Hello Tman1645,

Hopefully your spa shopping is going well. Sounds like from your description of what you would like that you would be wise to at least check out a Bullfrog Spas A7 or R7 or an A7L or R7L if you want a lounge seat. Link: http://www.bullfrogspas.com/a7 or http://www.bullfrogspas.com/a7l .

There is a dealer, San Juan Pools and Spas, not far from you in Pekin, IL. The owner, Joe Privett, is a great guy with a ton of experience. They can help you make a great decision, whichever spa you go with.

San Juan Pools & Spas

2030 Broadway

Pekin, IL 61554

309-346-1420

Let us know if we can answer any questions.

All the best,

Jake

Bullfrog Spas

Jake, we went to San Juan and love the bull frog spa.

Were gonna head to the home show in Bloomington tomorrow and will make a decision next week.

Erica, we drove all the way to Morton to find that this deal removed everything to remodel and only carries dimension one tubs and he had none at the time. Any other dealers in the area?

Jake, so far disappointed...

Tried to fire it up for the first time tonight after the electrician left and a no go. Giving me the error sensors out of sync. After filling it up I know had to drain it because temps tonight are going to be low in Illinois.