Which Marquis Is For Me?

matty44

Hey guys, I've narrowed down the search for our first hot tub to the Marquis Reward and 545. We originally wanted to stay under $8,000. That being said I have a dealer near me that is offering the 2013 545 floor unit for $6700 (no stereo or fancy features), or I can upgrade to the Reward (also floor unit sans bells and whistles) for $9500. I'm going to wet test them both this Friday...

My questions are:

1) Should I be wary at all of floor models? I don't know how it would get damaged just sitting there, aside from a scratch here or there maybe?

2) I'm going to assume the Rewards jet system/pumps feel better. The dealer said he hasn't seen one person ever say the 545 provided better therapy/massage...but is it worth the extra money?

I think I get a better warranty with the Reward too, and perhaps a better shell(?) but I don't know for sure. Is there anyway I can justify the extra expense to my boss? I mean, wife? Is the Reward better quality/will it last longer? Better filtration? Less likely to replace parts? More energy efficient i.e. lower monthly bills? Whaddya all say? What value can I place on a warranty thats 2 years (I believe) longer?

By the way (if it matters) I'm 6'3" and my wife is about 5'7".

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Matty

I take it you mean the 545 is $6700? Jet action in the reward is better, warranty is much better 5 year versus 2 year on components, shell is the same. The cabinet is of better quality on the reward also. The reward in my opinion also filters much better. Two larger filters compared to one smaller one. Do you know if the 545 is full foam? I think either tub is a great tub it's just a matter if you think the reward is $2800 better. I think both prices are fair both a little under what I sell them for. For what it's worth I sell much more of the reward model by explaining the features it has versus the 545.

Pump 1 in both are the same pump 2 is about double the cost. The controls and topside controller are much fancier and do a lot more though. Those are considerably more but should last longer. To me the real value difference between the 2 is the warranty and performance. Have you wet tested either? That's what my next step would be

Going Friday morning, and hoping that gives more clarity. However, like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure the Reward WILL feel better...its just a matter of putting a $$$ on how much better it feels. That's why I was looking for info on other aspects that bring added value to the Reward that I may not be aware of...just like the pump info you gave me. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Matty

Another aspect that the reward has that the 545 doesn't is the hk40 jets as well as the geyser jets. The HK40 give you the best massage out of any jet I want to say that's available in any hot tub on the market. As far as negotiating it's always worth a try. Are any accesories included in that price such as cover lifter or stairs? Does either tub have any options such as the upgraded lighting option? Seeing as though it's last year's model the dealer may be willing to work with you a little on the price. I personally wouldn't go any lower on the reward as that's already lower then I sell it for but I include steps and cover lifter plus I always order the bigger tubs with the constellation lighting so that adds on a little extra. If you can get all that for $9500 you did really well

Yeah, that price includes steps and a lifter...

Is there any reason to worries about a floor model? I would never pay big bucks for a floor model tv, or stereo, or lazy boy, or anything that could get damaged by people constantly messing with it, but I get the feeling that that's not the case with hot tubs. Is that a reasonable assumption?

It's good that you will be wet testing - make sure to wet test both a signature and an e-series, hopefully they have one of each up and running. That way you can see how the jets feel for both and the controls. That might help you decide if the Reward is worth the extra money. As for floor models, I just bought a floor model and its just fine. People may have gone in to do a dry test and my experience when spa shopping, spa dealers do monitor. The only time that I have seen them getting played with a lot (for instance kids playing in and out of them) was in big recreation stores where they sell other things. Hot tub prices are negotiable and you can probably talk him/her down as it is last years model and it's a floor model. Something to keep in mind, I found the following on a website - this was one of the reasons named on why to become a spa dealer:

"High margins. Hot tubs generally have great margins for a high-ticket item. Remember, hot tubs are a luxury item. When people are seeking a high-quality hot tub, they are expecting to pay some good money for it. If you have a customer willing to buy and you stock a high-quality hot tub brand, then as long as you have a confident, well-informed and well-trained sales people, you are going to make a good profit."

Sooooooo, just got back from wet testing and I realized that I don't like the lounge seat at all! But I did find out that the HK-40s are amazing! I ended up trying the EPIC as well, and was able to get a fully loaded (Ultimate package) 2013 EPIC for $9995 with a 10/7 warranty and plus steps and a cover and lifter. Was more than I wanted to spend originally, but I think that was a pretty good deal, and I'm much more pumped up to own the EPIC than I was the 545 or Reward.

Thanks Markee, I'm excited to get this thing put in the backyard as soon as possible. One of the things I'm trying to figure out is the cover lift...So we are going to build it into the side of a hill with decking on three sides and the exposed edge of the tub facing down hill. I'd like to get an undermount lifter that can be operated from inside of the tub. Is that possible? I've seen things like this

but I don't know if I could operate that from inside the tub, or from the side of the tub (standing on the deck). I'd hate to have to go down the steps and walk around the deck to get to the back side of the tub just to open and close the cover. Do you guys think something like the Cover Caddy can be operated from inside the tub or while standing/kneeling on the deck on the side of the tub? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Matty

The Cover Caddy may be a little difficult. I think you can make the 2 U-shaped caddy arms open a little wider so that it would catch better if you were to push the cover off on to the caddy from inside the spa.

Have you thought about the CoverMate III deck mount? Instead of the brackets mounting to the side of the spa, it mounts to the deck surface instead.