Old User, New Tub-Changed From Chlorine To Bromine

steeltech

Hello all,

Just looking for a little help. I have used chemgeeks program for several years with great success. The problem was when we are out of town etc. We sold the old tub, 500 gallon LA spas and bought a 2 year old Marquis rendezvous in perfect condition. From what i can tell the spa was in great condition,clean, and being used when we bought it about two weeks ago. It had the spa frog set-up and this is what the previous owners were using. I switched to bromine using Waterbear's 3 step process exactly as written. At fill the ph was 7.4, ta 130, calcium 80 (raised to 120). Am using the recommended floater with seven pucks (leisure time) in it at the 2 setting (tub is only 150 gallons)(Tub also has a ozinator)

Now my question. After about 4 days the bromine with the taylor test kit showed 17ppm and the tub was foaming a bit with the jets running. I also noted a few floaters on the water that were transparent and acted like oil does when it floats. I put in 4 ozs of hydrogen peroxide and the bromine went to zero and the ph was an 8+ after the peroxide. With all that said, I decided to drain and fill today and had the exact same initial readings. Should I leave the floater out until the bromine level comes down? I checked PH and it was high again but I am relating this to the high bromine. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated and thank-you in advance.

Yes, I'd leave the floater out since it sounds like the ozonator is producing enough bromine from the bromide bank. In fact, if it tends to keep the bromine too high, you should either start off with a lower than recommended bromide bank or see if you can have your ozonator not on as long -- probably by reducing the circulation pump on-time.