Jetted Tub To Replace Bath Tub?

spascap

We are interested in replacing our small bath tub with a jetted tub.

(air tub or whirlpool tub)

However, I don't even know where to start on this.

Does anyone know the major brands for this?

Would angie's list be a good place to look for a company to come out and make an estimate?

Thanks for any guidance.

mac

The major players are Maax, Jacuzzi, Kohler and American Standard. A couple of lesser known brands would be Aquatic Baths and Americh. The tubs are installed by a licensed plumber and the electrical is done by a licensed electrician. The tubs themselves are usually purchased through a plumbing supply company or your plumber. I generally only recommend the Maax and Americh brands these days, for a variety of reasons. I do factory authorized work for half the brands I just mentioned and did work for all of them at one time or another.

John

Thanks.

A question that I also need to ask is this:

If I have a hot tub outside, and I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, is there a real advantage to having a whirlpool inside the house?

I know if would be convenient, but I wonder, how many people with a hot tub outside actually have a small jetted tub inside in their bathroom.

I suppose I could use the hot tub outside all winter long...that is my only real concern.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mac

In my opinion, jetted baths and air baths make poor substitutes for a hot tub. The primary problem most hot tub owners complain about with regard to the jetted bath tubs is the fact that 99 percent of them are not deep enough to submerge into. From mid-waist and up, you are out of the water unless you specifically seek out and find a deep tub, and there are few of those.

John

Don'tBother. The Convenience Of The Hot Tub Will Win Over A Bath Tub That Takes 20 Minutes To Fill, Isn't Deep Enough, AndYou Don't Have Enough Hot Water To Fill. Just Put An Oversize Steam Shower Instead. return On Investment Will Be Higher Than A Tub Too.

I think I will pass on the jetted tub, partly because someone outside this chat said it would cost 5-7 K.

When we remodeled our master bath a few years ago, we purchased a Jacuzzi corner, jetted tub from Lowe's. It is nothing fancy. But, it only cost around $600. It did need dedicated circuits for the heater and pump, but no special plumbing that I can think of. So, it wasn't really all that expensive to install. That said, we never use it and it takes up a lot of space in the bathroom. If I had it to do over, I'd have installed a smaller soaking tub and maybe a steam shower.