Help Finding A Leak In A Hot Springs 2001 Grandee

I have spent hours trying to find a leak in my 2001 grandee. I noticed that the wood base was wet on the side opposite the motor compartment so dug out foam. It was very wet near the base of the tub. I thought I would find the leak in this area, but after digging out a bunch of wet foam near the base, all the other foam above it is dry. I then dug out foam on the side adjacent to the filter compartment and found a similar situation - lots of wet foam near the floor of the tub, but foam above is dry. I've dug towards the seat but am hitting very hard foam that is tough to remove. It seems like maybe there is not much room between the floor and the bottom of the seat. I still feel wet foam there but can't really get it out. I'm thinking maybe there is a leak in the "Y" area that has the pipes from the 2 top jets (of the 3 jet configuration in the center of the side adjacent to the filter), but can't get to these pipes. Has anyone encountered a situation like this? What is the next step? Do I need to access from under the tub? I wish I at least knew I was on the right track, trying to get to this "Y" Does anyone know how far off the bottom of the tub the piping runs? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I had a similar issue with mine. It was the connection at the lowest intake. I had to turn it on its side and cut it out to replace. PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! Especially, working on it by yourself.

Im having a leak now at the air control. I'm sure its a jet. Just not sure which one.

cstultz - thank you so much for your reply. I was hoping you could give me some more details on your experience. How difficult is it to cut out the foam on the bottom of the tub and what did you use? How far up into the tub cavity is the plumbing? Also, how often have you had leaks with yours...should I expect to continually be dealing with leaks once the tub is this old?

Also, some additional info on my leak...wondering if anyone else has encountered this...

I think I might have multiple leaks. Each day I lose about a 1/2" of water no matter whether the tub is completely turned off, whether I run the circulation pump, or whether I run the jets.

But I have also had a couple times where I'd check the tub in the morning and I've lost about 4 inches from the night before! But this doesn't always happen so I figured it only happened under certain circumstances, like if I ran the jets (and maybe only with the lever in the 3 o'clock position, or 9 o'clock), or ran the clean cycle. But I've independently tried all those things and it hasn't lost the large amount of water (4 inches) again...only the consistent 1/2" it always loses. Has anyone else encountered this?

• 2 months later...

We have a 2001 Hot Springs Prodigy that starting losing 1/2" every day a few months ago. We had an expensive (over $2,000.00) repair for leaks two years ago by the Hot Springs dealer. The current leak is in a new area and we dug out the foam to attack it ourselves. The PVC pipes are cracked as far as we can dig in and I don't see that any repair attempt will be worth it. We live in a moderate climate so I have come to the conclusion that the PVC pipes used by Hot Springs are just not made for longevity.

We have a 2001 Hot Springs Prodigy that starting losing 1/2" every day a few months ago. We had an expensive (over $2,000.00) repair for leaks two years ago by the Hot Springs dealer. The current leak is in a new area and we dug out the foam to attack it ourselves. The PVC pipes are cracked as far as we can dig in and I don't see that any repair attempt will be worth it. We live in a moderate climate so I have come to the conclusion that the PVC pipes used by Hot Springs are just not made for longevity.

Do you mean flex hose or hard pipe?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts on this thread; we are listening and want to help! Our spas are made to endure various climates for many, many years.

I'd encourage you to call us at 800-999-4688 to address specific concerns as needed and we will be there to support you, in warranty or not, with advice and service arrangements.

Thanks,

Steve

---Hot Spring Spas---

I just bought a new Grandee and reading this makes me feel real good. I sure hope this is not what we have to look forward to.

They have sold over a million tubs and the one in question is 13 years old. I think you will be ok. A new Grandee is a great tub. Anyone have a 13 year old car that has ever needed a repair? Tires, brakes, a/c recharge, nothing? No maintenance? Sign me up....I'll buy it.

• 7 years later...