What Should I Do With This Pool?

HShake

So, I just moved into a new house in Long Island and there's this pool here, but it's dirty as hell. We had some guy come by and tell us how he'll clean it and all, but it'll take like four visits and each visit is $90 or so. I'm a 19 year old kid so I won't be paying for it, my parents will, but I don't want them to. I'd much rather clean it myself and all and save them the money. I figure I might contribute in one way or another. My question is, are there any chances of me cleaning this pool on my own? If so, what are the items that I need? (I have that net thing btw.) Step by step instructions would be lovely, but anything would help. If this pool is a lost cause then let me know that also. :(

m95e2p.jpgrupll5.jpg4uev5t.jpg

You are going to need a good test kit (get a Taylor K-2006, worth every penny), a LOT of bleach (plain unscented laundry bleach or pool chlorine liquid, whichever is cheaper and available in your area, they are the same thing). possibly some pH adjusters (muriatic acid and borax) possibly some baking soda if the total alkalinity needs to be raised. and you might need some cyanuric acid (stabilzier) if it is low or you might need to drain some water and replace it if it is high. That looks like a fiberglass pool. If it is or a plaster or aggrefate finish pool you might calcm. If it is vinyl your won't.

Most of all you are going to need bleach and a lot of it.AND a good test kit (do not skimp on the test kit...get the Taylor one I mentioned!)

• 2 weeks later...

Shake, you can do this just gonna take a few weeks, a lot of chlorine and some patience. Just shock it daily and continuous filtration....I took one over last month that was worse than that and it looks great now. Good news is the algae has knocked down your phosphates...

Agree with everyone. Here is what I would do step by step.

1. Backwash the filter if it's sand or DE or wash it out if it is a cartridge to get a starting pressure.

2. Lots and lots of chlorine, throw a case (4 gallons) or more of liquid chlorine in there.

3. Run filter 24/7 until it's clean.

4. Backwash the filter any time it gets 10psi higher than your starting pressure (usually around 2opsi)

5. Test the water daily (get the Taylor test kit mentioned before, it's great) if the chlorine gets to the low end of the range, add more. Keep it in the 5+ range. Balance everything else, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness isnt necessary until after if you dont want to.

6. Once the water goes from green to cloudy, get a flocculant from your nearby pool store. Add the flocculant into the skimmer at the doseage for your pool, let the pool run for 2 hours then shut it off overnight or longer. You'll want to see all the particulate in the water go to the bottom of the pool.

7. Hook the vacuum up and vacuum everything to WASTE (this is important to not clog up your filter)

8. Once the bulk of it is gone, clean it up by vacuuming on filter if there is anythign on the bottom, and backwashing afterwards. Make sure to skim everything out and BRUSH THE WALLS, this is important for keeping algae from building up.

Rinse and repeat as needed. Use clarifier afterwards if the water is a little hazy. Keep up on backwashing, brushing, and chemicals and you'll be fine within a week or so. Make sure when you're vacuuming to waste the water level doesn't get below the wall skimmer, keep a garden hose in the pool while youre doing this.

This is not a lost cause at all :) ! I have been cleaning pools for 8 years and each year come across a few pools in this condition or much worse, and it takes work but it will be done before you know it. Find a good locally owned pool store with staff knowledgeable in water chemistry if you need to bring a water sample in.