Spa Heater Turning On Without Pump. Local Repair Man Stumped.

dannyw68

Hi,

I am a first time hot tub buyer and a first time poster to this forum. I just purchased a second hand Sundance Spa locally and finally got it wired up and working, and of course with my luck I ran into a problem.

Basically, the problem is that the heater turns on but the pump does not. When placed into standard heating mode, the spa heater will turn on with no pump activity. This leads to a loud boiling noise, followed by a system shutoff with an 'HL' error which I understand to mean 'High Limit' for the temp sensor. If I manually turn on the low speed pump after the heater has turned on, but before the system shuts off, it will continue to heat for 20 minutes until the pump shuts off automatically. It will then shut off the heater with and 'HL' error. It sometimes gives me a 'DR' error which I understand to mean a dry heater.

I dont know the exact spa model, but the control system is a Balboa VS511Z. The system has two pumps and no circ pump or ozone. Pump 1 is two speed and pump 2 is a single speed. Both pumps work just fine when manually started from the panel. The low speed setting on Pump 1 also works just fine. When turned on, the pumps appear to be flowing a significant amount of water, so this leads me to believe that they are properly primed. This system does not have a pressure switch or a flow switch. The system uses two temperature sensors in the heater for its flow detection.

Before I had the tub moved to my house, everything worked just fine as the tub was at 103°F and all the jets were working. I had my 240V GFCI line installed and wired to the tub by a professional electrician. I just hired a local hot tub repair technician to come diagnose the problem and surprise surprise, he has never seen this before and thinks I need to replace the board. (Cost $125 just to show up). He called a parts supplier who said it sounds like faulty board logic and they want to replace it at like $800.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer. I REALLY do not want to buy a new board without knowing for sure that it is the problem. Could the temp sensors be faulty? Could it be a bad relay? Thank you in advance for your help.

Dude, you are awesome. I just double checked and that is exactly how it was set. It is now working turning the pump on and heating. Makes me wonder how the previous owner got the water hot given that no-one changed these settings between when i bought it and now.

One additional question if you dont mind. The heater is automatically turning on the high speed pump instead of the low. Any idea why this is?

Actually, he came highly recommended by the previous owner and he was quite expensive. I think in this case I was just unlucky. But on the bright side, it has forced me to learn my own unit inside and out.

Now I just have to figure this whole chemical thing out...

Actually, he came highly recommended by the previous owner and he was quite expensive. I think in this case I was just unlucky. But on the bright side, it has forced me to learn my own unit inside and out.

Now I just have to figure this whole chemical thing out...

No offense intended to the prior owner and his "recommendation", but even the most basic technician should ALWAYS check the DIP switch settings on the VS series boards. I've seen cases where mice got into the box and accidently flipped a switch or two. You've now seen how simple it is to check these logic settings. Can you now forgive this "pro" for taking your money, but being stumped???

John