Teledyne Laars Heater Leaking...radiator Stop Leak?

Purchased home last summer and have an older (approx 10 years) Teledyne Laars Lite 325K heater that developed a leak last year after not being used for several years while the house was for sale. Per my pool company its leaking from the heat exchanger itself, and the heads are good. I'm not really interested in replacing the exchanger due to cost, but had a crazy idea...

Can I use radiator stop leak (or a similar product) to seal up the leaks? At this point, I'm going to have to buy a new heater anyways if it doesn't work so I don't really see what I have to lose. Figured I'd just dump it into the intake pipe, fill the heater will water and then discharge into a bucket and see if that stops the leak. Am I crazy here thinking this might actually work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Radiator stop leaks rely on high temps to activate stop leak. That, along with pressure to push the cocktail into the leak and stop the leak. So no, i wouldn't try it. Heat exchangers are copper, and the stop leak (aluminum) probably wouldn't bond correctly to the copper even if you were to get the heat and pressure.

Not sure if that tube bundle is still available as that is an old heater. The heater MAY be manufactured still, but it will be under the name Jandy.

Sorry for all the bad news...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of surprised its leaking from the tubes....those things are fairly thick. I think the headers are plastic and so those melt/deform rather easily. I melted both of mine when I accidently shut the power off to my pump while the heater was ON. That story with pictures is covered in this Forum. There is also a gasket that may have dry rotted if you haven't used the pool for some time. If there is actually a hole in the tube, seems like you could drill it out slightly and try to solder it using 15% silver solder.....like the HVAC guys use.