New House, New Hot Tub, Newbie :) - Hot Springs Tempo

DC_MPA

Hey everyone! After a few months of enjoying your site and doing endless research me and my better half have decided it's time to get a hot tub. We have looked at numerous models and tested out the ones we like. We've narrowed it down fo the HS Tempo. We live in Oklahoma (so any fellow Okies can help!) and here is the price we've been quoted.

$8600 - 12/2012 built, our choice of lift n' glide cover or cover cradle II, freshwater III CD ozone system, steps, delivery, setup, initial water care kit.

From all of my research that seems on the typical salesperson high side of price. Am I wrong? What should I try to get for a good negotiation price for everything mentioned above? We are having a family friend/licensed electrician do the wiring for us and our back covered patio is ready to just slide the hot tub in and start running.

Thanks a ton everyone for all the help! This is a whole new world to usbut one we are very excited about!

You always should be ready to negotiate their initial offer. Maybe you should ask them for a price for just the spa wihout the cover lifter (though I think you want one eventually), the steps (you can always buy yourself later online), and ozone and then their best price for those 3 things added. That way you can better evaluate it all and they'll know you are looking for something better thatn their offer.

That's what's weird about their pricing layout. His invoice is $7800 for the tub, throwing in everything else for free as a "sport travel show special" that we are having in the city (it's a huge event). The rest is disgustingly taxes.

Is this price with everything a decent deal or too high? It seemed high to me but this is the first time I've been in the hot tub market.

Tha is for the quick reply Spatech! I greatly appreciate it :)

I'm a new hot tub owner as well....

Just throwing out my "newbie" opinion here....

We just purchased a D1, spent more than we wanted to, but in the end we anticipate having this for a long time and we are very happy with the tub!

Now the last thing I want to see is someone post on here next week that they just bought the same model w/ same options for 1k cheaper....LOL, I think that's the worst part about purchasing these things! Ours is a newer model (meridian) so not a whole lot of price comparison online.....

Bottom line is we went a little outside our budget, but have a quality tub that fits us and our wants / needs. I know we'll be happy with this tub!

With that said, in feeling out the other tubs, I was told OVER THE PHONE from a local dealer that he would sell me a new HS Rhythm (just like the Tempo w/o lounge) for $5,800.

We never checked it out so he could have been dangling a lure, but he sounded legit. At that price it was probably bare bones and maybe with options 7K ? (guesstimating)

It seems hot tubs are different prices all over. If you're purchasing a tub you know fits you and your family, and it's somewhere in your budget (or a little outside :) just bite the bullet and make the purchase. A year from now when you're soaking - staring at the stars - hang'n with the fam, are you really going to care???

Wish you the best of luck!

I'm a new hot tub owner as well....

Just throwing out my "newbie" opinion here....

We just purchased a D1, spent more than we wanted to, but in the end we anticipate having this for a long time and we are very happy with the tub!

Now the last thing I want to see is someone post on here next week that they just bought the same model w/ same options for 1k cheaper....LOL, I think that's the worst part about purchasing these things! Ours is a newer model (meridian) so not a whole lot of price comparison online.....

Bottom line is we went a little outside our budget, but have a quality tub that fits us and our wants / needs. I know we'll be happy with this tub!

With that said, in feeling out the other tubs, I was told OVER THE PHONE from a local dealer that he would sell me a new HS Rhythm (just like the Tempo w/o lounge) for $5,800.

We never checked it out so he could have been dangling a lure, but he sounded legit. At that price it was probably bare bones and maybe with options 7K ? (guesstimating)

It seems hot tubs are different prices all over. If you're purchasing a tub you know fits you and your family, and it's somewhere in your budget (or a little outside :) just bite the bullet and make the purchase. A year from now when you're soaking - staring at the stars - hang'n with the fam, are you really going to care???

Wish you the best of luck!

xx2

That's what's weird about their pricing layout. His invoice is $7800 for the tub, throwing in everything else for free as a "sport travel show special" that we are having in the city (it's a huge event). The rest is disgustingly taxes. Is this price with everything a decent deal or too high? It seemed high to me but this is the first time I've been in the hot tub market. Tha is for the quick reply Spatech! I greatly appreciate it :)

Thats different and its not really weird to give you a package price but you can still ask for the price on just the spa with maybe just the lifter which you really do need IMO. When people come here and say their deal is "such and such for $8600" we always assume that doesn't include taxes unless specified otherwise. There is nothing you can do about the taxes so what you are really saying is its all you'd previously stated but for $7800 + tax for the spa package you listed which sounds far better thatn what I thought you were saying but others can chime in.

Gosh sorry about that. I was sure I said taxes were included and just realized I mistakenly forgot it. The tub is $7800 and everything is included. He wants to charge for the cover but I am sure I can tell him to drop that $300 since he ultimately said we might be able to work that out when we left.

So $7800 doesn't sound bad for the tempo then?

If it were $7800 for just the spa then that would be pretty high but with the steps, lifter and ozone all included as part of the price thats pretty good and its not the most basic lifter and its not the cheap UV ozone but the FW III CD ozone. Steps are a must on a deep spa like this and a lifter really is as well on a big spa. The CD ozone will help with water care but you could ask what the price would be without it if you need to meet a budget but otherwise he's not throwing in unecessary items.

That sounds like a reasonable starting price from my experience. I'm about to be in the market again myself. There should always be wiggle room but don't worry about price as the ultimate determining factor for what you buy. I would look at quality first. Following that line of thought might I suggest you check out a Bullfrog Spa? Full disclosure, I have had 2 of them at the lodges I operate here in the mountains of Utah. I was able to work out a great trade deal through acquaintances at their corporate office. They are local here. However, that said, I've had so many fewer problems with our Bullfrogs than any of the other spas we've had at our lodges. They don't have any wood (no rotting or warping from rain) and they seem to stay warm better in the colder months. You could get a great spa in their mid range line for that price. Here's their site: www.bullfrogspas.com